basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
Holy crap has it been that long since I posted anything...guess so. :eek:

Of course it is Christmas time and it can be a busy time. I suppose I could do a quick update.

This was my latest video from a few weeks ago where I talk a little about Lane and some other things:

I'm actually a mix of emotions right now...worn out/busy from work, happy/tired/busy from helping with our munchkin (who just recently turned 4 BTW), happy/tired/busy from the Christmas holiday rush AND super excited about some changes with me and the hobby.

I don't want to reveal much anything yet in regards to the changes with me and the hobby, BUT lets just my hiatus of doing hobby stuff will be coming to an end soon and I can get back to my "fun work" (hey it is work technically, but it's also fun!), this wonderfully awesome hobby...getting back to creating things and flying/crashing them. :D Got so many planes and projects I need/want to dig back into.

So planning on posting another update/video soon. In the mean time, hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

basslord1124

Master member
Well I'm back again with a big update....finally letting the cat out of the bag. I finally have my own decent workspace again!

So throughout the whole house move process, I'll be honest in that at the old house, I had a good space for my planes and hobbies. BUT it was probably too much space for a small family like ours...plus our various other issues with the old house. The new house has a little less space and in a more compact package that's easier for us. Pretty much had everything we needed, minus some decent storage space and a space for me to do house and plane projects. I had no place to put anything of mine...planes, tools, etc. Sooooo....we decided to add on this cool storage shed/building to sort of make as my little getaway. I should mention I was also paying monthly for a storage unit to house the rest of our goodies. So that can be one expense I can slowly do away with as things get moved into the shed.

I'm a firm believer in that folks should have a hobby or some sort of escape away from day to day life and they should have a place where they can do that. There was one extra room in the house and the wife claimed it as her office/hobby area. I would not change that at all for her....it's a perfect office space.

The building is a 10x16 Amish built shed/building with 2 lofts. Plan to designate part of it for general storage and part of it as my area for hobbies and whatever else. Super excited to have a space again!

mayan

Legendary member
Well I'm back again with a big update....finally letting the cat out of the bag. I finally have my own decent workspace again!

So throughout the whole house move process, I'll be honest in that at the old house, I had a good space for my planes and hobbies. BUT it was probably too much space for a small family like ours...plus our various other issues with the old house. The new house has a little less space and in a more compact package that's easier for us. Pretty much had everything we needed, minus some decent storage space and a space for me to do house and plane projects. I had no place to put anything of mine...planes, tools, etc. Sooooo....we decided to add on this cool storage shed/building to sort of make as my little getaway. I should mention I was also paying monthly for a storage unit to house the rest of our goodies. So that can be one expense I can slowly do away with as things get moved into the shed.

I'm a firm believer in that folks should have a hobby or some sort of escape away from day to day life and they should have a place where they can do that. There was one extra room in the house and the wife claimed it as her office/hobby area. I would not change that at all for her....it's a perfect office space.

The building is a 10x16 Amish built shed/building with 2 lofts. Plan to designate part of it for general storage and part of it as my area for hobbies and whatever else. Super excited to have a space again!
Love the hanger, do you do office renting I’d take a small table and a lot of storage room please 😂🤣😂🤣

basslord1124

Master member
New video is up...

It's more become hangar updates than anything else. And honestly that's all right for now....it's kinda neat learning some new and different skills and really focusing on fixing up my own space. Even if it's just from the studs. Before there was already a little bit of a space that I just fit into. This space is my own that I can really fix up how I want.

About 90% of the stuff is out of storage (which all the storage stuff is an adventure unto itself), so now I plan on getting some of that stuff semi-organized so I can move around a little easier and focus on the other things....adding more insulation, fixing up my hobby area, etc.

Aside from those things, life has been fine. New house stuff is fine, kid is good and back in school (after a week off due to the snowy weather), work has been busy, and we're continuing to stay safe from CoVid. Hope everybody out there is doing well and staying safe.

basslord1124

Master member
Well, not much going on here....just relaxing right now after working most of the morning.

Worked some more on getting the hangar organized, adding some more insulation, etc. I am about to the point where I can assemble my metal wire shelf together and getting some of my various things out of boxes. If I hadn't said it before, moving is a royal pain. We're still finding boxes and unboxing things...and we've been here since this last October. And at the rate it's going...maybe by October 2025 my building will be fixed up real nice and we will be officially situated in the house lol.

Things have been a little rough in our household. Little one has been sick since last Monday. We found out later in the week that someone in her class tested positive for CoVid. We did 1 test Friday and it was negative (home test), let a doctor do a test yesterday and still waiting to hear the results. Hoping it's negative as well. We also had them test her for flu and that came back negative. Wife and I tested for CoVid as well...both negative. Wife has felt a little rough too. Oddly enough, I haven't noticed anything on my side. Just my typical sinus and sinus drainage. So keep my whole family in your thoughts and prayers....especially the munchkin.

The past couple weeks I have actually been focusing on some RC stuff, mainly learning stuff about this Taranis transmitter. This is my first ever OpenTX type radio and it feels weird to abandon one brand and switch to another. And then of course, learning how the new one works and getting familiar with the layout. I think I am finding it better for me to do everything on the radio vs using the companion software. Although the software is a nice touch.

Well that is all from me. Hoping to get back to somewhat of an RC norm after this house move....it's slowly getting there I suppose. Hope everyone out there is doing well. Take care of yourself and stay safe.

basslord1124

Master member
Popping in once again....kiddo is winding down for bed time and I'm just killing some time. Once she heads to bed, I might take a venture out to my hangar for a bit.

I was just noticing my plane/project list needs some serious updates. Left off a bunch of more recent projects. I'll work on getting some updates to the thing. One thing I do wanna share here is something I just did on a whim just before the new year started. Maybe I got it as a gift to break in the new building, maybe I just wanted to mix things up again, who the world knows.

20211228_073614.jpg

Haven't bought an actual RTF/BNF plane in forever it seems like. And I just love the T28. And this isn't to deter from my normal DIY approach or to quit building or any of that, that will still continue.

Some other excitement going on...is that if everything goes as planned...I will have electric in my building hopefully by the end of the week.

Aside from that, nothing much else. We have all been super tired it seems like. I think it's the cold snowy weather and where it gets dark so early. I'll be so glad for some warmer temps and get out and do some things. Well that is all from me for now....about time for the munchkin to go to bed. Hoping to get another video up in the next week or so. Hope all is well. Peace out folks and stay safe.

basslord1124

Master member
Well an update...I am thinking the electric thing may not materialize as soon as I had hoped. Still kinda up in the air at this point. Will post an update when I know something for sure.

I had done something recently for which I had a hunch on how it might go...but I was still uncertain on the outcome. So....since probably late summer of last year my lipo batteries have all been stored at storage level. This was about when all the house hunting and all that began. I had maybe checked on those batteries one other time between then and now....maybe after the first few months. Well I checked on them again the other night. The batteries had been stored outside in my ammo can at the new home. Temps reached as low as single digits at times. I sorta knew the cold wouldn't bother them. Well I brought them in and let them warm up to room temperature. Checked them and all of them checked out to be right still within storage level range. So all is well, and I will be keeping them more at room temperature level more than likely for the rest of the season.

Well like I said, once I know something on the electric I will post an update. Hope all is well with everyone!

basslord1124

Master member
New video...some more hangar updates....more insulation put in, TV mounted, official electric in the hangar soon becoming a reality, and bringing back an old plane project...

basslord1124

Master member
I suppose I'm a little late to the party (or so it feels that way)...but I now have tested positive for Covid. I had been vaccinated with no booster. My wife has it too. I figured it was gonna happen sooner or later. Symptoms haven't been too terrible...but enough to know something was up. I was feeling rough this past weekend...mainly just chills and low energy/body aches. Monday and Tuesday seemed normal. Wednesday was mainly just a low energy day. Today isn't too bad. Been having some sinus type issues when it started too which that was gonna happen sometime this season too.

Had a little mini vacation towards the end of April beginning of May. Nice little cabin getaway with some fishing. It was nice and much needed.

Plane stuff has actually been progressing pretty good...just haven't been sharing the progress. Although I will probably be working on a video, maybe 2, this weekend to show what all has been done. Been getting pretty comfortable with OpenTX/Taranis radio. It's getting to a point where I may need to start buying additional receivers b/c I have about used up all the ones that I had acquired when I bought the radio. Not sure how others progress with OpenTX but I think my journey is a flip from others. I kinda get the impression that some start with OpenTX and then move on to Spektrum/Futaba or something else. I started with Spektrum and ditched it for OpenTX.

Well that is all from me. Hope everybody out there is doing well.

WillL84

I suppose I'm a little late to the party (or so it feels that way)...but I now have tested positive for Covid. I had been vaccinated with no booster. My wife has it too. I figured it was gonna happen sooner or later. Symptoms haven't been too terrible...but enough to know something was up. I was feeling rough this past weekend...mainly just chills and low energy/body aches. Monday and Tuesday seemed normal. Wednesday was mainly just a low energy day. Today isn't too bad. Been having some sinus type issues when it started too which that was gonna happen sometime this season too.

Had a little mini vacation towards the end of April beginning of May. Nice little cabin getaway with some fishing. It was nice and much needed.

Plane stuff has actually been progressing pretty good...just haven't been sharing the progress. Although I will probably be working on a video, maybe 2, this weekend to show what all has been done. Been getting pretty comfortable with OpenTX/Taranis radio. It's getting to a point where I may need to start buying additional receivers b/c I have about used up all the ones that I had acquired when I bought the radio. Not sure how others progress with OpenTX but I think my journey is a flip from others. I kinda get the impression that some start with OpenTX and then move on to Spektrum/Futaba or something else. I started with Spektrum and ditched it for OpenTX.

Well that is all from me. Hope everybody out there is doing well.

Same for me and my wife!

She started getting sick Friday, tested positive Monday. I tested Tuesday, negative. I started getting symptoms yesterday and tested today and positive. Feels like a mild cold honestly - stuffy/runny nose, sore throat that comes and goes, general body aches. We're also both vaxxed with no booster.