Bat Bone Sweptback V-Tail

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Due to the kindness, and generosity of Chad Kapper, I have a chance to test, and review a prototype of his newly designed Bat Bone Tri-copter frame.

I'm using it to build a Tri/Quad hybrid called a V-tail.

Here is the version 2 of my original SweptBack V-Tail design, using the new Bat Bone frame.

I used square aluminum tubing instead of wood for the arms. I had them left over from the tri-copter frame I used for the V1 V-tail.
20130516_174446.jpg

The KK2 board fits nicely to the pre-drilled mounting holes.
20130516_182850.jpg

I'm also using a Delrin protective case available from U.S. Hobby Parts. The clear buttons are just some polycarbonate screws run up through the bottom of the cover.
20130516_182839.jpg

These are my sweptback V arms before installation onto the tail boom.
20130516_183429.jpg

And here they are after they where mounted, and the boom was trimmed.
20130516_194748.jpg

By this point I could really tell that the Bat Bone frame was going to complement my SBV-tail design very nicely.
20130516_200503.jpg

With props, and front claws installed, the organic look of this thing starts to become evident.
20130516_202719.jpg

And finally, with the rear claws in place, I decided to hang it up for the night, and called it quits on the days build.
20130516_211551.jpg

I haven't had time to get much done since these photos where taken last thursday night. Nothing worth photographing at least.

I did manage to re-flash all the ESCs with SimonK, and got them mach-up installed. But it looks like before it will see any airtime, I'll be waiting on some cable to show up from HK, so that I can get the wiring run the way I want.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Dude that looks sick!!!! I cant wait to see more photos and some flight footage :-D

Thanks, I,ll get more up as it comes along.

Thing looks evil. How do the v tails fly compared to a regular quad.

Well in my experience, V-tails seem to lend more to a fast forward oriented flight experience. They are still great for performing acro, but I usually find myself flying mine around more like a fixed wing aircraft. Whereas with my quads, I just fling it about doing loop, rolls, piros, and flips in any given direction.

As for a typical tri-copter comparison, I can't comment. I don't have any experience to draw on, because I've never cared for there perpetually tilted tails (only ever looks good on a woman ;)), so I have never built one.

I've also got another SBVT (V3) in the works, but it will come sometime after my Bat Bone is finished. I have not proven the set-up I'll be using for it, so I will be doing a bit of testing, and tweaking before it can be dubbed a success.

I've been calling it the "SkyShark" check it out...

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Looking great Heli! Can't wait to see more progress.

I really like that KK2 case, I will probably order a couple myself, although the thing is two-thirds the cost of the KK2 itself!

Build-wise, my only comment is the V-tail bar connection to the main boom looks very weak. It appears you have trimmed the aluminum square tube to where there's only a 'U' shaped cross section at most as the mounting support. I can't see, it may only be 'tabs'? If you want to keep the "look", (no structural cross member) a reinforcement carbon fiber or aluminum tab under the screws running down the boom 30-40mm will greatly strengthen that high stress point. Or a wood insert running snug inside 40mm or so will do the same.

[edit]

I just realized you said 'prototype'. So I assume Chad will address this weak point in the final production model if and when it is produced. :eek:

Last edited:

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
What motor and prop setup are you running on those.
Need to build some kind of fin for the shark

I have Turnigy Air series motors on both of my proven SBV-tails. The front motors are 900kV, swinging 11x4.7 props, and the rear team are 1650kV, with 7x4.5 props.

Hey bud how are you programming it for the vtail setup?

I use the V-tail setting in the KK2, but reverse the values for my outward thrust setup. Additionally, I have recently mixed in torque steering with the "Mixer Editor" to flatten out the yaw response.

Looking great Heli! Can't wait to see more progress.

I really like that KK2 case, I will probably order a couple myself, although the thing is two-thirds the cost of the KK2 itself!

Build-wise, my only comment is the V-tail bar connection to the main boom looks very weak. It appears you have trimmed the aluminum square tube to where there's only a 'U' shaped cross section at most as the mounting support. I can't see, it may only be 'tabs'? If you want to keep the "look", (no structural cross member) a reinforcement carbon fiber or aluminum tab under the screws running down the boom 30-40mm will greatly strengthen that high stress point. Or a wood insert running snug inside 40mm or so will do the same.

[edit]

I just realized you said 'prototype'. So I assume Chad will address this weak point in the final production model if and when it is produced. :eek:

The case is as valuable to me, as the board itself! If you could see some of the crashes I have had testing with these cases, and not damaged the first board, you would be sold also! Here is my new V3 clear top case...

Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 7.44.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 7.44.38 PM.png

My tail assembly is very rigid! I have spacers in between the bars, and the tail boom, and once it is bolted into place the weakest link is mid-span of the boom itself.

Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 7.45.30 PM.png

The prototype I mentioned, is only the Bat Bone frame! I am not sure if, or when a V-tail kit will be available from the FT Store... (But knowing those guys, if there is enough interest in a V-tail by the community, I'm sure it could be offered soon.)

Please post video when this thing flies. Please.

Oh it flies! The only real problem now, is finding someone willing to run a camera for me...

Are your rear motors pushing perpendicular to the tail boom? Or are they angled to the rear slightly? It's hard to tell from the pics. Some of the pics from your other swept back V-tail look like they are angled back a bit.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Looks great Heli.

Just a couple comments. . .still around the V-tail connection.

It appears you have a soft material as your 'fill' or spacer inside the boom? If it is, you might want to consider that being washers. And fitting them as snug as possible is critical. It will transfer torque a tiny bit more forward on the boom helping to limit any tear action at the base of your cut on the aluminum during a hard crash.

My other mention was zip tying behind the bullet connectors on your rear motors. That defeats one of the primary reasons of having disconnects. When you crash and your motor breaks free, it will rip at the stator if its connected to the boom.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
The rotors are perpendicular to the boom only. Though I have entertained the idea of doing a few tests, using a servo to tilt the V-tail like an elevator on a plane.