Bat Bone Tri Landing Gear alternate options

Skeetpf

I'm looking for options on the Bat Bone Tri Landing Gear. I broke the servo landing gear today in "light" crash on a cold day. The servo linkage is still good so i would like to keep most of that as is.

I plan on flying during the cold weather so I anticipate more breaks. I plan on buying replacement landing gears in the spring.

Thanks for any ideas that you have found that work using the existing servo linkage.

Skeetpf

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
1/2" slice of 2"-3" PVC pipe, sanded flat on one side and zip tied on. works great and really rugged.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Or a large zip-tie bent in a "U" shape and zip-tied on. It's a little springier though..
So, this...
img-3338-1.jpg

Or this...
LG2.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I found with lanky nylon ties, thin semi-circle or complete rings of PVC. . . if it's mounted out at the end of the boom, you often get flutter that increases and decreases at various resonant prop RPM. . .and it's best to put it directly under the motor axis where the thrust column isn't quite as severe. I learned the hard way with a micro-cam, the Foxtech V3 CMOS, maybe the most sensitive camera to put on a multirotor next to keyfob cams. If there is vibration, a micro CMOS will find it!

placement.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I found with lanky nylon ties, thin semi-circle or complete rings of PVC. . . if it's mounted out at the end of the boom, you often get flutter that increases and decreases at various resonant prop RPM. . .and it's best to put it directly under the motor axis where the thrust column isn't quite as severe. I learned the hard way with a micro-cam, the Foxtech V3 CMOS, maybe the most sensitive camera to put on a multirotor next to keyfob cams. If there is vibration, a micro CMOS will find it!

I imagine that's true if the gear protrudes laterally from the boom, but if it's already under the shadow of the boom, I don't see how it would catch significantly more of the propwash than the boom has already.

IMO, the damage has already been done (all for the benefit of having the motor remain attached) while I dont' see any harm of mounting at the "eye of the storm" -- other than transmitting a hard boom strike on a crash straight to the motor -- I have a hard time beleiving it would make things that much better in vibe.

Skeetpf

Thanks for the advice.

I made a temporary repair by wedging some epp foam into the damaged gear with some wire ties. What ever I do next has to consider the existing servo control. That still operates the tail motor.

Skeetpf