Batbone or the original tricopter body?

Zwoobz

I'm thinking of building a tricopter and can't decide whether to get the Batbone, David's original tricopter body or maybe some other one. I'm also thinking of using it for filming purposes. What are the advantages and disadvantages with them?
Thanks!

Loc8tor

I use the Batbone. I like it. I think they both use the same camera tray. So, I don't think it would make a difference. I don't get any jell-o. But that could be me. I do know you could save a ton of money making your own frame. And using zip ties to attach the motors to the arms instead of the motor mount attachments flite test sells. You still need a firewall mount for the motor to attach the zip ties to. I also have my own made legs/feet too. Also, saves a lot of money. It wasn't my idea. I read somewhere on here I think about a guy using milk crate pieces for feet. I did mine differently. He used a spike version, which means he can make probably 50 legs with one crate. I went with a rectangle version. I can maybe get 20 out of a milk crate. You just need a sturdy frame. If my batbone broke i'm not sure what I would use. I looked at plexiglass but it's too expensive. Wood is cheap but doesn't look as cool. Anyway, when you do get built if you have issues this forum has lot's of help for you. These guys know a lot. I don't. I did some mods and am having issues right now, but with the snow I can't test fly with my corrections.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I think the shape of the basic frame is moot so long as the angles (motors from the FCB) are the same.

Flight characteristics are dependent upon how far apart the motors are (further is more stable, closer is quicker) and the motors/electronics you use versus the weight of the copter.

The BatBone can come in a kit or you can get/build your own mounts, struts, booms and rear motor pivot. The original body, has no kit option. You can buy the mounts etc piecemeal from FT or you can put together your own but there is no kit with all the parts.

The BatBone most likely weighs more but the weight difference should be very minimally impacting if you are building a beefy enough copter for video.

As Loc8tor stated, both will use the camera vibration mitigation mount (awesome piece of hardware, no jello in your video at all).

The BatBone costs more.