Help! Batteries for FT Power Packs? AM I missing something?

RipGroove

I've just had a good look around the store pages and even downloaded some plans yet I can't seem to find some info regarding which batteries FT recommend for each of their FT Power Packs? I'm sure it's there somewhere but I can't see it right now. I'm specifically looking at the FT Mini Mustang with Power Pack A but it would be handy to be able to know what batteries are recommended for each Power Pack for future reference.

FDS

Elite member
See the store listing for the PLANE, recommended batteries are on there. If you buy batteries from somewhere like Hobbyking then be sure you get the same size and discharge rating. Watch weights as well, lighter is better.
Another thing to check is the connectors, batteries come with numerous discharge connectors so be sure to have the right ones or buy some to solder to your ESC or pack or both.
Battery size is related to the plane not the power pack.
If this is a first plane I would not get the Mustang. The Mini Scout is much easier to fly if you are learning.

RipGroove

Think I've got it, thanks. I'm viewing it on my phone now and it's there, I'm sure I couldn't see it on my PC, maybe because I told it I was in the UK so it automatically hides the batteries as they cannot ship them overseas.

RipGroove

See the store listing for the PLANE, recommended batteries are on there. If you buy batteries from somewhere like Hobbyking then be sure you get the same size and discharge rating. Watch weights as well, lighter is better.
Another thing to check is the connectors, batteries come with numerous discharge connectors so be sure to have the right ones or buy some to solder to your ESC or pack or both.
Battery size is related to the plane not the power pack.
If this is a first plane I would not get the Mustang. The Mini Scout is much easier to fly if you are learning.
Technically not my first plane, I have a small wing span stupidly fast combat wing which goes like an F1 car in the air!

FDS

Elite member
If you are in the UK then Model Shop Leeds do power packs and FT designs, plus Hobbyking’s UK warehouse or Unmanned UAV tech do batteries. Don’t buy the Graupner power packs, they are comically expensive. You can get the parts even cheaper if you buy from Hobbyking. Only buy from the UK or EU warehouse and only buy in stock items from them.
Hobbyking battery, might need a change of connector. I have this pack, works great.
Superior UMT battery, higher performance but more money.
Page from FT store with battery-
FA44CA31-684D-4864-AAB3-320E490545C8.jpeg

Last edited:

RipGroove

If you are in the UK then Model Shop Leeds do power packs and FT designs, plus Hobbyking’s UK warehouse or Unmanned UAV tech do batteries. Don’t buy the Graupner power packs, they are comically expensive. You can get the parts even cheaper if you buy from Hobbyking. Only buy from the UK or EU warehouse and only buy in stock items from them.
Hobbyking battery, might need a change of connector. I have this pack, works great.
Superior UMT battery, higher performance but more money.
Page from FT store with battery-
View attachment 138020
Thank you.

Reactions: FDS

Steve Fox

I've just had a good look around the store pages and even downloaded some plans yet I can't seem to find some info regarding which batteries FT recommend for each of their FT Power Packs? I'm sure it's there somewhere but I can't see it right now. I'm specifically looking at the FT Mini Mustang with Power Pack A but it would be handy to be able to know what batteries are recommended for each Power Pack for future reference.
Ignore Ft recommended battery packs, they list crazy small packs and the extra weight of a bigger pack is desperately needed on many of their planes.

Take the Ft cub for example, they suggest a 1300mah 3s, are you kidding??!!

The smallest I fly my cubs on is a 2700mah and that give the perfect weight in my opinion, mine comes in at 890g on a 2700, mine have lots of extra electronics and I also use metal gear servos adding to the weight.
The 2700 also has loads more capacity than that tiny 1300 which won't balance the plane ether but I regularly have my cubs in the air on 4000 and 4200mah 3s packs and an all up weight of 1.1kg although I don't recommend that to new flyers and I have to land fast when that heavy on a stock wing but a storch wing on a cub allows super slow landings even when that heavy!

My point is that Ft specs are useless, forget the power packs, forget the recommended batterys, source your electronics elsewhere for much less and get better gear (metal gear servos are a must) and you will be surprised at just how well they fly well over ft specified weights, those are only good for absolutely zero wind!