Batteries gone awry - informational video

Powder7410

Hey Guys,

First off I just want to say that I love the show. I am a complete newbie, just really discovered the hobby, as well as the show, last week and I am slowly making my way through all of the videos. The information y'all have provided has put me light years ahead of if I were to just try and learn from reading forums and Josh and Josh are quite entertaining as well.

Anyway, being new to the hobby and already knowing the potential hazard that LiPo batteries can be, I have watched and read everything I can find on proper usage and care of the batteries and as a result have developed a healthy paranoia in regards to the batteries. However, I have found that there is one thing that everything I have read and seen is lacking and that is the actual end result of poor care and improper usage. I feel that it would be very informative and invaluable if y'all would do a mythbusters style episode in which you take the batteries beyond their limits and actually induce a failure. Now I know full well the safety concern that would be related to this and could see the AMA having issue with it as well so what I am envisioning is a charging/discharging setup out in the yard away from any structures with the battery safely contained in a plexiglass case with the added safety of remote camera setups, a safe distance, and no shortage of fire extinguishers. I feel that a video like this would be a great tool in knowing what to look for, what to avoid, and how to address problems that arise.

Of course, the obvious disclaimer would apply, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! Please let me know your thoughts and feelings toward doing an episode like this.

Thanks and Keep up the great work!
Kelly

P.S. As an extra piece of information to raise awareness. An entire fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners in Japan has been grounded do to an incident involving an in-flight fire in a compartment that the flight crew could not gain access to mid-air. The fire was caused by none other than an onboard Lithium Polymer battery.