batteries

FastCrash45

Elite member
I always here people saying that if you charge your batteries faster they will deteriorate faster is this true?
Yes its true. Although you can charge at the c rating it is very hard on the battery. Creates a lot more heat internally. I used to charge them as fast as my charger could charge them. They got puffy after a few charged like that and when discharging them like in my truck I had one melt through the chassis. Only way to put them out is with sand. Since then I never go above the capacity. If it's a 800mah I charge at .8aamp, even though my 5200mah batteries can handle more I never charge them above 2amps. The batteries stay cool and they don't puff up.

clolsonus

In the past couple years I started putting all my batteries on storage charge at the end of the day. (I used to charge them up to be ready for the next chance to head out ... whenever that might be.) I don't know how much of a difference that actually makes, but it makes me feel like I'm maximizing my investment ... especially when I'm flying big 8,000 or 10,000 mah batteries. But then it's more work to get ready to fly the next time when a nice day + a bit of time happen to randomly align themselves.

There's a saying which I don't remember exactly, but goes something like: "every man has his own way to tie up his boat." And then the corollary for me: if you don't know how to tie a knot, tie a lot. And of course the old spongebob joke about feeling knotty. :)

Bricks

Master member
Yes its true. Although you can charge at the c rating it is very hard on the battery. Creates a lot more heat internally. I used to charge them as fast as my charger could charge them. They got puffy after a few charged like that and when discharging them like in my truck I had one melt through the chassis. Only way to put them out is with sand. Since then I never go above the capacity. If it's a 800mah I charge at .8aamp, even though my 5200mah batteries can handle more I never charge them above 2amps. The batteries stay cool and they don't puff up.

Not saying anything good or bad but could the prolem be by being new and running down the batteries to far, just something to consider. If I puff a battery it is usually my fault by taking it down to low or physical damage, and then it shows up when I charge it back up.

FastCrash45

Elite member
In my early days yes, discharging too far was part of the problem, impatience was the other part. I discharged hard and low and charged as hard as I could in the least amount of time possible. I now set all my controllers to the highest voltage cutoff allowed and as soon as I notice a minimal reduction in performance I land or park the vehicle. I don't charge them until the batteries are cold too. Nowadays I pay attention to the details. I went from not caring to being overprotective on my batteries. Motors, contollers, and radios I can find cheap, my biggest expense are batteries. Being on fixed income makes me cautious but that's just me.

clolsonus

Thinking back, when I've had the most trouble puffing batteries it was with some really low C batteries (10C?) we bought. We were trying for long endurance, and low C batteries give you the same mah at lighter weight, but can't deliver as much instantaneous power. Hobby fliers tend to go for higher C ratings (more power) and fixed-wing drone flyers might tend to go for lower C rating (lighter weight). Also there are hidden variables (like some nebulous measure of quality) which are hard to account for. We typically think greater cost == greater quality, but I'm sure that's not always true.

I don't think any of us are made of money here, but in my view. if there is any question about reliability, it's worth retiring old tired batteries (and old tired servos and other electronics.) The cost of a hard crash (for me anyway) is almost always going to be more than the cost of a new battery or new receiver ... and I've seen a lot of guys get super frustrated and crash expensive things trying to nurse along old equipment. So that's my personal philosophy. Also a bonus tip: don't buy "like new" glow power engines off ebay! Never had good luck with that.

Trains1213_YT

In my early days yes, discharging too far was part of the problem, impatience was the other part. I discharged hard and low and charged as hard as I could in the least amount of time possible. I now set all my controllers to the highest voltage cutoff allowed and as soon as I notice a minimal reduction in performance I land or park the vehicle. I don't charge them until the batteries are cold too. Nowadays I pay attention to the details. I went from not caring to being overprotective on my batteries. Motors, contollers, and radios I can find cheap, my biggest expense are batteries. Being on fixed income makes me cautious but that's just me.
I dont get what the point of discharging batteries is.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I was referring to using the batteries in the plane or car or whatever. When I used nicads it was good to cycle them or train them to be push packs. Lipos don't need discharging unless they are full and you want them at storage levels.

basslord1124

Master member
@basslord1124
I know but having puffed up a lot of batteries in the early days I prefer to be cautious. I'm disabled so I have more time than money. I was stating what I prefer to do. No one should take what I do as hard truth but what I prefer.

Oh ok... I totally understand that. I wouldn't take any chances with that. We had a guy at the RC field whose battery was almost a perfect circle around where it was so puffy. I would've disposed of it.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Yeah, that's a meltdown wanting and willing to happen. When they go they are VERY hot. I melted one through my truck chassis once. Tried water and that just made it worse. They can be dangerous if you're as silly as I was with them. Age brings wisdom, so does a low pocket book. Lol

evranch

I usually stick to a 1C charge personally as I have plenty of time to fly and plenty of time to charge. And if I wreck a battery, it's a long way to the hobby shop.

I discharge my large UAV cells to storage as well if I don't use them up in flight, if I am planning to fly it there is plenty of time to charge them the evening before. Some of them are actually rated for a 15C charge but my charger can't put out that many amps!

My smaller cells for FT foamies I'm a lot more likely to recharge to full voltage if the weather is looking decent, that way I have the option to grab them up and go flying. Also, I'm a lot more likely to fly a puffy or damaged battery in a plane that is worth a dollar and a couple hours than one that has more of my time or money into it. Right now I'm still flying the cell that got a hole poked in it in my Bloody Baron... seems to be doing fine!

FWIW I charge to a max of 4.15V/cell, as you are only losing 5% of the capacity but in my opinion are putting a lot less stress on them, especially if they are going to sit charged for awhile.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I usually stick to a 1C charge personally as I have plenty of time to fly and plenty of time to charge. And if I wreck a battery, it's a long way to the hobby shop.

I discharge my large UAV cells to storage as well if I don't use them up in flight, if I am planning to fly it there is plenty of time to charge them the evening before. Some of them are actually rated for a 15C charge but my charger can't put out that many amps!

My smaller cells for FT foamies I'm a lot more likely to recharge to full voltage if the weather is looking decent, that way I have the option to grab them up and go flying. Also, I'm a lot more likely to fly a puffy or damaged battery in a plane that is worth a dollar and a couple hours than one that has more of my time or money into it. Right now I'm still flying the cell that got a hole poked in it in my Bloody Baron... seems to be doing fine!

FWIW I charge to a max of 4.15V/cell, as you are only losing 5% of the capacity but in my opinion are putting a lot less stress on them, especially if they are going to sit charged for awhile.

Off the subject, I read on some other post you are from Saskatchewan, where about? I am from Saskatoon.

sundown57

Legendary member
Question about battery voltage, I just bought an imax b6 to try and get the most out of my batteries. I also have an 850 mAh 11.1 volt 3 cell battery. So i charged it today with the intent of going flying but that didn't happen. SO decided to discharge it to storage voltage. i set it to discharge and it went down to like 9 volts before i shut it off. Did a search and it says recommended storage voltage is 3.85 volts per cell for a 3 cell battery. how can that be discharged if it's only 3.7 per cell to begin with. that would make it overcharged. If i set the charger at 1A discharge it only gives me the option of 9 volts for a 3 cell. what am i doing wrong?