battery for fpv goggles

Jaybird14

Got my flite test goggles!!! :)

What battery should i be using??? and can i get one from a batteries plus?
My local hobby store closed. :(

Thanks!!!!

Jay

P S what batteries do you use for the little cameras??

Jaybird14

What the heck? I thought you folks would be up for a challenge. lol

Goggles are Marvel Vision - 5.8
camera runcam-splitwith a TBS unify pro 5G8 HV video transmitter

Thanks!!!

Jay

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, from everything I'm seeing with the Marvel Vision goggles, they've got a a built in 2000 mAh rechargeable battery...A separate battery for the runcam split might be needed, depending on how you want to wire it in; I'm assuming you're not putting this into a quad, but rather a fixed wing application that doesn't have its own power distribution board, right?

Jaybird14

Well, from everything I'm seeing with the Marvel Vision goggles, they've got a a built in 2000 mAh rechargeable battery...A separate battery for the runcam split might be needed, depending on how you want to wire it in; I'm assuming you're not putting this into a quad, but rather a fixed wing application that doesn't have its own power distribution board, right?

Yes on the fixed Wing W/O a board..

The goggles have a detachable power cord with a battery plug on the loose end. They are the red flit-test goggles. for sale on the FT website.

The camera is the same one Josh has in hit F T scout.

sprzout

Mentor
Well, since the goggles can take 2s-6s, and have XT60 connectors, I would recommend seeing if you can find a 2s-3s battery, 1800-2200 mAh capacity, with XT60 connectors.

Reason for this is fewer cells mean lighter weight, and this IS going to hang off of your head; the more weight you have, the more it feels like it's pulling at you. Going for a 4, 5, or 6 cell battery is adding more weight and more cost, with no performance increase for the goggles.

As for the FPV video transmitter, you probably have a lead that came with it that will connect up to the video transmitter board. Simply take the end that doesn't connect to it, and solder the red and black wires to the red and black wires on your battery leads on your speed controller. Looking at how the simple FPV video setup was done in the July 9, 2014 article, they just soldered the video transmitter lead to the ends of the XT60 connector, black to black, red to red. That should do it for you..

Jaybird14

I'm on it.

THANK YOU!!!!

Jay

I see you have an archer. I almost bought one seeing as i got my private ticket in one. :) but grabbed an parkzone Albatros instead. I need parts lol

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
I'm on it.

THANK YOU!!!!

Jay

I see you have an archer. I almost bought one seeing as i got my private ticket in one. :) but grabbed an parkzone Albatros instead. I need parts lol

Actually, that Archer is shared between my father and I. :) I'm using it as a teaching plane for him, because it's relatively easy to fly. He "killed" it a few weeks back, breaking it apart at the firewall. After some foam glue and rod reinforcements, we got it put back together, and now it's had a "re-maiden" where I was able to get it up in the air, fly it around for a bit, and successfully land it...But taxiing was a tad sketchy due to CG being a little messed up, and not enough weight over the nose landing gear. 1/4 oz of weight later and a touch of trim adjustments, and she tracks pretty true now. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Careful with the split mate. the first one had strict 4.8 v power requirement where the V2 has a larger power range. What ever you do do not reverse polarity as there is no protection circuits.

Jaybird14

I've plugged my video transmitter into my 11.1 volt 450 mah 3 cell and the vid transmitter is getting hot. is that normal??

everything works :) but the heat seams to be exsesive ???
please help.

mountaindewdude76

Do you have an antenna connected to your video transmitter? A connected antenna is mandatory because it acts as a heat sink. This will help pull the heat from the transmitter. Also, even with normal operation, a video transmitter will get warm as its being used. It really needs air flow to help keep them cool and comfy.

Jaybird14

Yes thanks the antenna is connected. So the battery specs I mentioned should be ok ?
I just don’t want to melt my stuff lol

Last edited: