I need longer flight times :D

Do you know if i can solder them together like this:
to power the TX too
tx bat.png

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That depends on if you wire them in series or parallel. series will give you 6S and parallel gives you 10Ah. Google or search youtube for battery wiring or lipo wiring as you can find much more info than I can type right now...
If you still can't find it let us know and we can try to help more.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I just assumed you meant the Rx or receiver in the plane. Or are you doing something with a motor on your radio?

The reason I ask is, normally the plane is powered through the ESC if it's electric (which I am assuming it is since you are using 2 lipo's) or in the rare case of either redundancy or too high a cell count for powering that way, a separate UBEC that would tie to the battery leads and then plug in to your receiver to power it and your servos. Can you give us some more info on what your requirements are?

Fenomnis

Sorry my fault
Its a normal plane with 2 batteries to get 10A and 3 s
The wires are going to the esc first thats right.
And the tx is an dji downlink for fpv, the question is were schould i solder the cable to power the 5.8 downlink?

tramsgar

Check out the old FT vid on parallel and serial battery connections. Your schematic is one of epic fire!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Fenimnis,

This layout will work, but only if the batteries are a matched pair. Otherwise, Tramsgar's right about the serious risk of turning your airframe into a smoking, flying firebomb.

Assuming you're wiring this up for FPV, it might be simpler to go with one huge battery running everything, or one large battery for motor/servos and one small one for the video tx.

The only advantage to paralleling batteries is building a battery size you don't have with ones you do. Since Lipos are a consumable item in RC (yes, they can last a long time, but batteries wear out faster than anything else under non-crash use :black_eyed:), IMO, paralleling should only be a stop-gap measure to get you in the air until you can afford & pick up that larger battery size.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sorry my fault
Its a normal plane with 2 batteries to get 10A and 3 s
The wires are going to the esc first thats right.
And the tx is an dji downlink for fpv, the question is were schould i solder the cable to power the 5.8 downlink?
Ah ok. I should have paid attention to the forum section this was in...
Dan is right, trying to use 2 batteries can be dangerous so make sure you are aware of the dangers and take the necessary precautions.

To answer your question, if the Tx can take the direct voltage from a 3S lipo (most of them can), then where you had it diagrammed is fine. I don't know if it will help but what I do is build a tap with the power wire coming off of it. All you do is take a male and female of whatever connector you are using for your batteries, and solder them directly together. Pay attention to the polarity of everything! Both of the plugs and the tap wires should always match for polarity; as in positive to positive, and negative to negative. Then plug it in to your ESC. When you plug in the battery, your Tx will also be powered. And if you are doing any testing or tuning where you don't need the Tx powered, just unplug the tap and plug your battery straight into the ESC. It also makes it very easy to move the Tx from plane to plane without having to modify anything and you can also test just the video system without having to power the whole plane.

_DSC8408.JPG

Last edited: