Solved Battery Grief

Figure9

Elite member
When I first build a swappable power pod for a ‘B’ motor in a Bloody Baron I also bought a Gens Ace 2200mAh 3S 25C battery. I probably got 30 minutes of flight out of it before my ECO Power Electron 44 Charger started flashing all 4 indicators in groups of 3. Polarity problem. Well, It’s hooked up right, so I think the battery is already bad. I might have depleted it to far down, I guess I could break out the VOM & check the total voltage. I don’t have a wiring diagram to figure out the balance plug voltages. I only flew it on 5 minute flights & never exceeded the warning countdown.
Any 2200mAh XT60 plug battery recommendations, comments or suggestions? :coffee::unsure:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
When I first build a swappable power pod for a ‘B’ motor in a Bloody Baron I also bought a Gens Ace 2200mAh 3S 25C battery. I probably got 30 minutes of flight out of it before my ECO Power Electron 44 Charger started flashing all 4 indicators in groups of 3. Polarity problem. Well, It’s hooked up right, so I think the battery is already bad. I might have depleted it to far down, I guess I could break out the VOM & check the total voltage. I don’t have a wiring diagram to figure out the balance plug voltages. I only flew it on 5 minute flights & never exceeded the warning countdown.
Any 2200mAh XT60 plug battery recommendations, comments or suggestions? :coffee::unsure:
The voltages on your balance plug is 4.2 volts fully charged. If each are less then 3.5 the charger might not accept a voltage that low, depends on what it is set for. Some have a fixed setting where you cant adjust it some have no setting, and some have adjustable settings. The battery might not be toast as per say but you definitely drained it way to low. I have a charger that will restart a low over drained battery because it has no low voltage setting, But it would be a just in case kinda thing. On a B pack you should get about 10 minutes max out of a charge of light to medium flying from a 2200mah

Figure9

Elite member
Thanks @BATTLEAXE I think I killed it but I might find a cell balance checker among the club members. I think I’ll buy one when I order a new battery. There’s a Gens ACE Adventure that might survive longer but it costs $53.99 while the Gens ACE 2200 I have was only $19.99. Both plus shipping from FT. Hmmm. :unsure:

FDS

Elite member
A good cell checker should be an immediate purchase, they are not much to buy and can quickly tell you what state each cell is in and can come to the field with you to monitor the battery. I always give myself an extra minute or two flying time in addition to what is on the timer as a “fuel reserve” by testing how long it takes to get to 3.6v per cell. Then you have a short cushion. I also use ESC’s with a battery protection setting that either cut the throttle or blip it when I get to 3.5v. Any fixed wing esc should have that. The Hobbywing Skywalker and Hobbyking Plush do, so I just use those. I never buy less than 40c in any capacity battery either.
Hobbyking‘s 40C 2200mah 3s has been rock solid, as have their 850mah 40-60c 3s. Their 2200 is much less than the ones you have there.
This one but from the US warehouse, about $15
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...304&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the others, a cell checker with give you more information.

Make sure all of the pins on the balance plug get connected. If one pin fails to connect, it can throw the charger off. Another possibility, one of the balance plug wires disconnect, inside the pack. Gently tug each wire to see if one has broken free.

Figure9

Elite member
Ordered a couple of batteries that @FDS recommended (Thanks). My charger still works fine with another battery that I didn’t kill yet. Hobby King prices are great but they didn’t have any cell checkers in stock, all were back ordered, now I know why. Looks to me like it might be better value to order multiple inexpensive batteries rather than one expensive battery. I can probably find a battery cell balance checker at the nearest hobby store 35 miles away. :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

FDS

Elite member
The difference between a 120C racing pack and a 40c regular one in an average model plane will simply be measured in $$. Many of the cell checkers come from China so manufacturing problems will have hit them, they are a popular thing.

Figure9

Elite member
I agree with the others, a cell checker with give you more information.

Make sure all of the pins on the balance plug get connected. If one pin fails to connect, it can throw the charger off. Another possibility, one of the balance plug wires disconnect, inside the pack. Gently tug each wire to see if one has broken free.

Thanks, bent pins can make you crazy but not the problem this time.

Figure9

Elite member
The difference between a 120C racing pack and a 40c regular one in an average model plane will simply be measured in $$. Many of the cell checkers come from China so manufacturing problems will have hit them, they are a popular thing.

I noticed... :unsure::oops::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: FDS