Battery helmets

dylanbeaudette

Good idea or terrible idea?

922C75BB-4A72-4B4B-8D2C-469633103E98.jpeg

Our batteries have taken some abuse, mounted in the front of the Tiny Trainer and DR1. Hard landings and crashes lead to mangled wrapping and bent cells. I’ve already retired one LiPo pack because of this…

I’ve started wrapping the front of our packs with heavy duty packing tape, two layers for the first trial. Any suggestions or alternatives?

here is the bottom front of the DR1 with plenty of scars.
368A95F2-128B-4610-B6B5-C1B928EA9292.jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... Any suggestions or alternatives?...
I don't see any downside to the tape.

I use a bit of foam to protect my batteries. I take an old power pod, one that has been through a few crashes and make a battery box. I'll glue a bit of foam in the nose of the battery box to stop the battery and absorb the crash. Works great.

You could tape 3-4 layers of fb to the nose of your battery to do the same thing.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I don't see any downside to the tape.

I use a bit of foam to protect my batteries. I take an old power pod, one that has been through a few crashes and make a battery box. I'll glue a bit of foam in the nose of the battery box to stop the battery and absorb the crash. Works great.

You could tape 3-4 layers of fb to the nose of your battery to do the same thing.
That is what I did before I started building planes that had the battery inside, I would just put some foam on em

Tench745

Master member
Tape is good and I have used it on a number of my batteries over the years.
I wonder if those with 3D printers might want to try printing a plastic "helmet" for the end of batteries.