Battery indicator on Radio

Marki Mark

I bought a ORANGERX TX6I Radio with a ORANGERX R618XL 6CH receiver. I have yet to get to my maiden flight. But one thing I would really like on my plane is a module that transmits the battery voltage to my radio. I saw something about this on the radio and was wondering what the name is of such a module, or if it even exists.

I see a 'bind/batt' set of pins on the receiver, and I assume that these pins are not only for initial binding, but also for transmitting the battery voltage. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance!

FDS

Elite member
You need a telemetry capable receiver and sensors to transmit the information to your TX, Lemon RX make this complete set up to give you the info. It will bind great to your TX.
Bind/Batt is NOT to be connected to the flight battery. That is a cPPM OUTPUT, it puts the channel info for all 6 channels into three wires, for talking to flight controllers etc.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I see a 'bind/batt' set of pins on the receiver, and I assume that these pins are not only for initial binding, but also for transmitting the battery voltage. Is this the case?
No, the bat/bind pins are a throw back to the glow motor days. Back then you had a separate battery that powered the servos. Now we power the servos from a BEC, battery elimination circuit. The BEC is build into most airplane ESC, but most quad ESC don't have a BEC.

Your motor will slow when the battery gets low. Several in my club use a cell checker like this one, just plug it into the balance lead and it will beep when the voltage gets low.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lipo-Volta...dkAAOSwE~Zb7xqa:sc:USPSFirstClass!61455!US!-1

Last edited:

Marki Mark

You need a telemetry capable receiver and sensors to transmit the information to your TX, Lemon RX make this complete set up to give you the info. It will bind great to your TX.
Bind/Batt is NOT to be connected to the flight battery. That is a cPPM OUTPUT, it puts the channel info for all 6 channels into three wires, for talking to flight controllers etc.

Oof that's out of my budget. Thanks for the information

Marki Mark

No, the bat/bind pins are a throw back to the glow motor days. Back then you had a separate battery that powered the servos. Now we power the servos from a BEC, battery elimination circuit. The BEC is build into most airplane ESC, but most quad ESC don't have a BEC.
Ah right, totally forgot about BEC's. Thanks

FDS

Elite member
The best way to keep flight batteries safe for not much money is the timer. Start with 5 mins, when you land check the cell voltage, if it’s around 3.7 per cell then you have another 30sec to 1min. Don’t go below 3.5v per cell if possible. Good fixed wing ESC’s will cut power when the battery voltage goes below 3.6v per cell.
Telemetry sensors can be re used and moved between planes so don’t view that cost as per plane, it’s a one off if you buy compatible receivers in future.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Something else you can do is use one of these:

Lipo Battery Tester

This gives you the ability to set an alarm with the battery (say, at 3.7v) and leave it connected to your balance connector. When the alarm goes off, you know to land the plane...It's not ideal, and it only works with batteries that have balance connectors, but it's an option.

Bricks

Master member
The Batt/Bind pin is not really a throw back as that is how we still power the receiver in our Glow and Gas planes. The bind feature is what is new for the new radios.