Battery mount

rainman687

Does anyone have a sized layout for the battery mount used for the ft guinea pig? I will probably just buy one but want to get my bird in the air as soon as I can.

FDS

Elite member
The plans have it all laid out, find the pages with the battery tray on, then print just those? All you need is a small bit of foamboard to build just the tray.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have a sized layout for the battery mount used for the ft guinea pig?
I’ve built many FT planes and not a one has the battery where the plans say it should be. Everyone builds differently and needs to adjust where things are to make the CG come out where it should. I build and finish the plane then, with tape, put all the electronics on the plane and test the CG. I will move things about until the CG is correct. Then and only then will mount everything permanently.

The plans are only suggestions, you will need to adjust to meet your situation.

rainman687

The plans have it all laid out, find the pages with the battery tray on, then print just those? All you need is a small bit of foamboard to build just the tray.
I printed out and taped together all of the pages and the battery mount is not there. I could just Velcro it but I like the wooden tray they show in the build vid.

rainman687

I’ve built many FT planes and not a one has the battery where the plans say it should be. Everyone builds differently and needs to adjust where things are to make the CG come out where it should. I build and finish the plane then, with tape, put all the electronics on the plane and test the CG. I will move things about until the CG is correct. Then and only then will mount everything permanently.

The plans are only suggestions, you will need to adjust to meet your situation.
The tray I am looking for is to help asjust for the cg instead of just having a strip of Velcro in the nose. They sell it on the store just seeing if I could make it and not pay shipping for a piece of wood.

evranch

You can measure it up pretty quick and build a little tray just by cutting slots in a piece of foamboard. The FT Explorer nose battery area is a good example. Lately I have been holding my batteries down with rubber bands with BBQ skewers underneath, it's really easy to get them in and out. The rubber bands are a tight enough fit in the slots that they don't come loose when the battery is not installed.

FDS

Elite member
That wooden tray was likely one Peter put together. Measure the area you want the battery and make one to fit. Lite ply is useful for those jobs, it’s not much heavier than foamboard and can be cut with a Stanley knife.

rainman687

You can measure it up pretty quick and build a little tray just by cutting slots in a piece of foamboard. The FT Explorer nose battery area is a good example. Lately I have been holding my batteries down with rubber bands with BBQ skewers underneath, it's really easy to get them in and out. The rubber bands are a tight enough fit in the slots that they don't come loose when the battery is not installed.

That is brilliant!! Thanks!

feliponcho

The layout is in the sea duck plans. Not exactly the layout but the position of the holes. You can figure out the dimensions easy from there. I made one with a plastic bottle wall (too soft). I just ordered the 1/16 wood and will make one for the guinea and another for the 🦆