Battery Storage Large Scale

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
I am a teacher and I am looking for a storage solution for my school.

I am trying to figure out how I am going to store batteries when I have a large number to store. Granted I am only starting out with 8 but soon I hope to have about 40. I would assume that the numbers would go up as we acquire more batteries.

How would you guys suggest i keep them all safe.

jaredstrees

Keep them at storage charge and in a fireproof container. Maybe one of the small fireproof safes would work.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A storage shed can become like an oven in some environments. If you have warm and sunny summers I would at least recommend the fitting of an air-conditioner to the shed to keep the LiPo battery temperatures down. Heat kills LiPo batteries faster than students!

Have fun!

JTarmstr

Elite member
Do not use a fireproof safe. it will contain an explosion and if enough batteries were to catch on fire, there might be a massive explosion when to much pressure occurs. I would suggest checking out the battery bunker in this video

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
I hope to store them inside for sure. We do have a science lab storage area that i might be able to build a battery bunker in

JTarmstr

Elite member
I hope to store them inside for sure. We do have a science lab storage area that i might be able to build a battery bunker in

Yes, i would recommend if you can afford it to build a bunker like the one in the video and put it in a area where if there ever was a fire a smoke detector would catch it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You should consider a drywall lined tool box similar to this one from Alex aka Ibcrazy. Here is a video on how it's built and a test.

t2159333-250-thumb-Battery%20box.jpg

You will want to keep you batteries separate from each other. If one catches fire you DO NOT want it to set off all the others and start a chain reaction.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As you purchase additional batteries I would recommend that you also consider purchasing more battery chargers as well. Good chargers are quite cheap nowadays and if you are flattening many batteries at a time then you will need to respect the heat possibly generated by trying to charge them too fast. Better to charge a number of batteries slowly on a number of different chargers than to try to fast charge them on a single charger by lining them up and making regular battery swaps.

Also try to keep the heat generated in the charger from heating the batteries during the charge cycle.

Have fun!

Bricks

Master member
Being a school a metal locker should be availabale and if more worried then line it with sheet rock. I would suspect a metal locker not close to any thing flammable would work just fine.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Here is another video of a battery storage tool box. This guy put sand in plastic bags above the batteries. If you do have a fire, the bag will melt and release the sand to extinguish the fire.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Here is another video of a battery storage tool box. This guy put sand in plastic bags above the batteries. If you do have a fire, the bag will melt and release the sand to extinguish the fire.

What do you think of the holes for charging? do the compromise the protection?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Battery storage and Battery charging are best done is separate areas or enclosures. The last thing you would want is for a single battery issue involve a pile of other batteries in the same container, (more fuel for the fire).

After charging you should allow the battery to cool before placing it in the storage container/safe with the other batteries.

Just a safety note!

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What do you think of the holes for charging? do the compromise the protection?
Yes, the holes may compromise the system. I would also be concerned the metal rubbing the wires and causing a short. I’ve seen another idea with concrete blocks. They drilled a hole in the block, put the extension wire through & filled the hole with caulk. You could do the same thing with drywall, put the wires in and mud them in. From what I can tell, it’s the drywall doing most of the protection. Metal alone would allow heat to pass through and potentially ignite any material touching the metal. The drywall stops the heat.

Last edited: