Battery upgrade 500 mah to 2200 mah! Whee! Zooooommmm!!!!!!

Peterthinks

FullSizeRender.jpg A little upgrade for my Banggood UFO copter. took an 18650 battery and soldered a connector directly to it. Replaced the little 10 gram stick of gum battery that was blowing up like a balloon. Had to remove the landing gear and body and camera but hey it flies! Might fly with the stuff attached. I replaced a boom at the same time so it was probably the floppy motor that had it grounded. And I seriously doubt that old battery was better than 300 mah. Anyway it's a heck of an improvement and it plugs into the same charger too! Wear safety glasses and take all necessary precautions when soldering to anything, especially gigantic batteries!!!

Viktor2415

Hi, are you using a LiPo or some other kind of a battery? Because I also have a UDI U818a UFO quadcopter that came with 500 mAh battery that I wanted to replace with a 2000 mAh one that I bought from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111247469588 and although the battery isn't much heavier than the stock battery, it didn't allow my quadcopter to lift off the ground. I later assumed that this is because this bat is specially designed only for use with gadgets but not rc models :confused: and am thinking of buying another battery :confused:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
A little upgrade for my Banggood UFO copter. took an 18650 battery and soldered a connector directly to it. Replaced the little 10 gram stick of gum battery that was blowing up like a balloon. Had to remove the landing gear and body and camera but hey it flies! Might fly with the stuff attached. I replaced a boom at the same time so it was probably the floppy motor that had it grounded. And I seriously doubt that old battery was better than 300 mah. Anyway it's a heck of an improvement and it plugs into the same charger too! Wear safety glasses and take all necessary precautions when soldering to anything, especially gigantic batteries!!!

Nice job! Might I make one suggestion though? Don't overfly those motors... I made a battery upgrade to my Syma X5 and while I got double flight times the motors got super hot... in fact I believe that is what lead to their demise a few weeks later. Those toy grade heli motors weren't meant to fly for 10-15 minutes at a time :(

Viktor2415

What battery capacity were you using? Because in order to prolong the flying time of my quadcopter I would go with 1200 mAh lipo max. :confused: