• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

BATTLEAXE

@BATTLEAXE, got something new for you to try and see if you like. When building a traditional ft wing with the creases in the airfoil, instead of just scoring the crease lines and opening them up with a skewer like you usually would, don’t score the lines and instead remove the paper a quarter inch on each side of the original crease line. Just score the paper when doing that. Then just compress the foam in that half inch wide area with your thumbs or roll it over the edge of the table. In the end, you have an airfoil that doesn’t have any score lines, which makes it stronger, and it’s a much smoother bend. Hope this makes sense! I’d like to see someone try it and hear their results!
I did my speed wings something like that, but I removed all the paper on the top layer from the LE to just behind the spar by a 1/2" where the airfoil starts to angle down to the TE. It did make a way smoother transition but once it is panted you could still see the spar, slightly but still noticeable. I like what you are thinking though, probably wouldn't even need to form it on the table or with your thumbs either. Have you tried this or was it a eureka moment?

I did my speed wings something like that, but I removed all the paper on the top layer from the LE to just behind the spar by a 1/2" where the airfoil starts to angle down to the TE. It did make a way smoother transition but once it is panted you could still see the spar, slightly but still noticeable. I like what you are thinking though, probably wouldn't even need to form it on the table or with your thumbs either. Have you tried this or was it a eureka moment?
I did it on my brothers mini mustang and my FT Bravo I just built. It makes for a much smoother looking wing. It works best on mini airfoils where there’s a single thickness spar. You can’t see the spar at all on these. You are right, one probably wouldn’t have to form the foam, but it makes it easier to fold the wing over and hold it while the glue dries.