BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Another cool tip.

I did find though that especially with pieces that are under stress like rounded or curved areas, the poly will soak in underneath the glue and release the bond. Noticed this mostly on poster board and FB turtle decks

chris398mx

Master member
How did things work out?

What plane is it your doing? I thought it looks like the P-47 tail and figured you mentioned something about building it, but it turns out it was someone else who said that they were building it.

Much better tonight. NO Creases! You guys were right, I was rolling the foam the wrong way and pushing to hard. I built a new fuse tube and started at the back this time in case I messed it up again I would have less work in it. I cut a new piece laying it out the right way this time, chamfered the leading edge of the formers so they would slide easier, and made sure not to push too hard this time. So I think with a little luck I should be able to maiden the V2 this weekend. Thanks for the help guys! I don't know how just by luck I cut the skins the wrong way every time I have tried till tonight. You can also see the landing gear slot and gear ready for install. I have a few more updates to the prints including the landing gear and then I will post them on the first page of my Mamba thread.

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Guess what I got...
20191119_203137.jpg
20191119_203613.jpg

Pretty stoked it came, get to fly again.

So I hooked it up to the laptop, registered and updated it. Get to hopefully maiden the Spear tomorrow...

Not all unicorns and rainbows though. Tried to hook up dual ailerons and I still have the same issue. Gonna call Spektrum again tomorrow and figure this out. I will do a range test again before I fly but if I get the same problem I will lose my mind.

I'll keep you posted.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Guess what I got... View attachment 148530 View attachment 148531
Pretty stoked it came, get to fly again.

So I hooked it up to the laptop, registered and updated it. Get to hopefully maiden the Spear tomorrow...

Not all unicorns and rainbows though. Tried to hook up dual ailerons and I still have the same issue. Gonna call Spektrum again tomorrow and figure this out. I will do a range test again before I fly but if I get the same problem I will lose my mind.

I'll keep you posted.
I’m glad it came! Did you try it with a Spektrum receiver?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I don't have a spectrum Rx, should it matter?
Oh I thought you had an ar620 for some reason. It shouldn’t matter. Did you try plugging the servo into ports 5 and 6? I know my transmitter is set to use ch6 but sometimes I ended up programming something like differential thrust that would normally be on ch6 but assign it to ch5...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did try both ports 5 and 6. As far as the program goes it is designated as 1.throttle 2.R. aileron 3. elevator 4.rudder 5.gear 6.L. aileron. Still no go.

I have had 3 AR620's and I have busted 2 and lost one, at $50 a pop they just don't make sense.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got it all sorted out now. I got the new Tx yesterday and found out I messed up updating the original one. Which means now that the new one works right and I do have dual ailerons functioning, the old one should be able to do the same. I now have 2 Tx's that work. That being said I will give the first Tx to the kids and they can play with my HH Sport Cub with SAFE mode and learn to fly with me.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If anyone comes across vids like this not only for building but to help us be better pilots please post it here so we all benefit.
Thanks for the feedback and I will keep them coming

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
For a while now, I've been making little foam firewalls to fit inside of the powerpod to protect the battery from the screws in the event of a "hard landing." Recently, I'm just cutting the screws off with the kevlar wheel for my dremel, and sanding them down with the bullet-shaped sanding tool. Problem solved. It literally takes moments. It's the easy tips that make someone say "DOH!" :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have somewhat of the same issue with the in-runner shaft protruding through the firewall about an inch or so. I built a FB box to wrap around it lined on the battery side with milk jug plastic to protect the battery. I have punctured a batt or two so I needed a solution. This works awesome and saves the the cost of new ones

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have somewhat of the same issue with the in-runner shaft protruding through the firewall about an inch or so. I built a FB box to wrap around it lined on the battery side with milk jug plastic to protect the battery. I have punctured a batt or two so I needed a solution. This works awesome and saves the the cost of new ones
I just used a plastic juice bottle cap on the end of the motor. I've only done that with the mini mamba since it and the ft-3d are the only planes that have the battery in the pod. the ft-3d's battery is Velcro'd about half way back in the pod so I'm not really too worried with it getting punctured. In the mini mamba, I have to have it cause the battery would rub the shaft if I didn't! :ROFLMAO: