BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This is a thread where I will be documenting any tips or tricks for the scratch builders of planes and tools alike. There won't be any flights here but it will be a good launch pad for the building and tuning side for those that need it or are just looking to cruise for something different. I am a low budget flyer, hence being here with Flitetest and using DTFB. So these vids will be targeting those kind of people who appreciate the "low cash" tactics instead of throwing money at a problem.

If you would like to reference any particular videos they can all be easily found in the playlist section on my YouTube channel, the link is here, and always can be found in my signature at the bottom of any of my posts.

This is my first vid of the likes so watch and copy, cheat and steal as much as you like. Enjoy

Like and subscribe to support the cause, and the productions will get better as this thread fills up. Thanks

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This is a thread where I will be documenting any tips or tricks for the scratch builders of planes and tools alike. There won't be any flights here but it will be a good launch pad for the building and tuning side for those that need it or are just looking to cruise for something different. I am a low budget flyer, hence being here with Flitetest and using DTFB. So these vids will be targeting those kind of people who appreciate the "low cash" tactics instead of throwing money at a problem. This is my first vid of the likes so watch and copy, cheat and steal as much as you like. Enjoy

Like and subscribe to support the cause, and the productions will get better as this thread fills up. Thanks
Gotta work at it a little harder, if you want to be really useful, bro. You should've mentioned that those were hard drive magnets, and not easily found in the local WallyWorld. The diameter of the wire you used is also critical, for someone wishing to duplicate what you've done. Everything can be loose on the balancer, and the prop will still gravitate towards the heavy side.

In order to balance it, though? That's all got to be square and solid on your drill press. Otherwise we can just cut and sand it down and stick a barbecue skewer through the prop and add a bit of CA glue on the light side. That also works. ;)

I'm not saying stop. Keep working at it. Monetizing FliteTest aircraft on youtube isn't easy. Otherwise, we'd all be doing it. I wish you luck! :)

*EDIT* Just PLEASE. Please. Don't let that be the end focus of your purpose here. That never ends well. If you can get something going with your YT channel, then cool. Just please keep on building and flying and learning and having fun, in the meantime! :) *EDIT*

Last edited:

Ihichi Bolls

I watched a video a while back fo balancing props.

Everyone at some point will burn up a motor. This guy stripped the magnets from the bell which go recycled as hatch mangnets. Them he balanced the bell after chipping out magnets and epoxy.

That got mounted to a stand that was leveled on all 3 axis and has become his balancer.

I am in the process of stripping a bell on one of the motors I fried recently to do the same.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am unsure if you are calling for "Donations" of hints and tips so I will test the water with an old tip which actually surprised an old hand at the local flying field today!

He was preparing his "retail" mustang for flight when the hatch magnet finally separated from the glue that had held it in place and he asked around for anyone who had some glue to reattach it.

The "tip" I gave him will now become his standard for all of his planes as almost all have the magnets pull out eventually. Simply put when you ready the plane for its flying life cover the magnets and the surrounding foam with a length of packing tape. Now in order for the magnet to break free not only must it break the glue bond but also must rip through the layer of tape,

When done while the plane is new the magnets stay put for many many years. If the tape starts to peal off with age just replace it and the protection continues!

Simple but effective!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I am unsure if you are calling for "Donations" of hints and tips so I will test the water with an old tip which actually surprised an old hand at the local flying field today!

He was preparing his "retail" mustang for flight when the hatch magnet finally separated from the glue that had held it in place and he asked around for anyone who had some glue to reattach it.

The "tip" I gave him will now become his standard for all of his planes as almost all have the magnets pull out eventually. Simply put when you ready the plane for its flying life cover the magnets and the surrounding foam with a length of packing tape. Now in order for the magnet to break free not only must it break the glue bond but also must rip through the layer of tape,

When done while the plane is new the magnets stay put for many many years. If the tape starts to peal off with age just replace it and the protection continues!

Simple but effective!

Have fun!
That's actually what I did with my Master Series Corsair, not being told of it before :).

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks for all the input on this one, really appreciate it. And yea you can use it as a drop box of tips and tricks, It's not just about me. If you have some old school pointers or a eureka moment in mid build to overcome a problem, post it here. That's what I put it up for. I will be mostly doing my stuff by video, and there will be write ups in the simple stuff like what @Hai-Lee mentioned. Keep them coming and we all could use this a reference to pull from. Thanks again

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks for all the input on this one, really appreciate it. And yea you can use it as a drop box of tips and tricks, It's not just about me. If you have some old school pointers or a eureka moment in mid build to overcome a problem, post it here. That's what I put it up for. I will be mostly doing my stuff by video, and there will be write ups in the simple stuff like what @Hai-Lee mentioned. Keep them coming and we all could use this a reference to pull from. Thanks again
When I first started ironing my bevels and edges, I did a google/youtube search and came up with like one, very poor offering on how it is actually done.

The type of iron, the heat settings, the actual process to get a nice edge and not a melted one with crinkled paper. Precautions that should be taken and other words of wisdom. That could be a useful video for the community.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
When I first started ironing my bevels and edges, I did a google/youtube search and came up with like one, very poor offering on how it is actually done.

The type of iron, the heat settings, the actual process to get a nice edge and not a melted one with crinkled paper. Precautions that should be taken and other words of wisdom. That could be a useful video for the community.
I had the same issue when I looked it up as well. I would be honored to do a ironing tutorial vid for sure. The balancing stand was more of a DIY trick thing. I am sure nobody would want to sit through a couple hour vid of me building it. But an ironing vid, great idea. Thanks for that.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Epiphany! I gotcha, @BATTLEAXE! What do you have to offer to the youtube community, that I or anyone else here cannot? What do you have to offer that is completely different than anything the rest of us just advise on this forum?

Your build skills! I've said that they are darn awesome! Look at what @CarolineTyler is doing with the Spitfire. She is an absolute artist, at the top of her game. She's not making videos showing the rest of us how to do it, though.

That paint job on the J. Cash? That beautiful, fading satin black? How the heck did you pull that off? Video. The pinstriping on the same plane, with the scroll-work decals. Video.

The way you modify every plane and your reasons for doing so? Video. You could actually go through the entire inventory of FT planes, put your spin on them, and once you figure out how to do it, it would be awesome video. THAT would be worth subscribing to. Not only to see what you're going to do next, but so that when I build an FT plane, I can look and see what YOU did to make it better.

That's a youtube channel. It's just a thought I had, and you've a long ways to go to realize it. But yeah, I'd subscribe. :)

bracesport

Legendary member
I agree with buzzbomb, you have a great set of skills, combined with design flair, and heck you can fly too - plenty there for your YouTube channel (already subscribed too)!

Buzz is also right, having detail on ironing and all the cutting edge FB techniques are glossed over by all of us!

Go man go!😀

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's what I am looking for! This feedback is awesome! Get me excited to do this, like everything else, an idea comes to mind and there are always uncertainties to whether it would be receptive or not, would it offend anybody, or would it be a waste of time and effort. That's something I could sink my teeth into. Yesterdays video was just a test bed for this idea, it could go so much further. Thank you for the support I really appreciate it.

I might do a ironing vid tomorrow then, I have a little project on the go anyway, so it will fall in line with my progress so far. I'll spend the morning setting it up and should have it up and running by the evening. Gotta get some flying in as well of coarse, no video on that though.

Thanks again,

P.S. just got my brain spinning... won't sleep tonight now lol

bracesport

Legendary member
by now you are a pro with the iron - don't forget to share what you learned along the way - sometimes that's the gold others need to move ahead - I for one am looking forward to the next video, and thanks in advance for your efforts! :D

this time you will need two hands with the iron!

Tonero311

Your ironing vid will be of immense help to me, that's a technique/method I'm looking to adapt into my builds soon too. Subscribed and notifications enabled.
If I could make another suggestion for your youtube vids too. Maybe go over a model you have modified in great detail. Why you made the mod or used a particular method, what you expect the effect to be, then to real world results and analysis.
Love your build area too. I wish I had that kind of space to work with. Good luck and I look forward to your next videos.

Sero

Elite member
Going to add one more thing to the hatch hold down. I use tape also as @Hai-Lee had mentioned, but if you have the opportunity to put the magnets on the vertical rather than horizontal then you have to pull them apart in a shearing action rather than tension. Here you can see I recessed them in the foam and when you lift the back of the hatch up, it shears them apart. There's very little to no chance of them pulling out of the foam.
IMG_20191007_151535.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Going to add one more thing to the hatch hold down. I use tape also as @Hai-Lee had mentioned, but if you have the opportunity to put the magnets on the vertical rather than horizontal then you have to pull them apart in a shearing action rather than tension. Here you can see I recessed them in the foam and when you lift the back of the hatch up, it shears them apart. There's very little to no chance of them pulling out of the foam.
View attachment 144853
Magnets are magic on hatches huh, really they are flawless. I like the shear release as well. Do you index the front of the hatch with tabs or more magnets?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You totally nailed it! Well done, @BATTLEAXE! You have THE definitive video on how to iron edges. You just did that. I didn't know about the trick of cutting the paper on the curves.

I've just subscribed. :)
Thanks for the subscription. I appreciate it. I just posted another one, check it out and tell me what you think.