BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Skewers you say? I love me the heck out of some skewers! :love: I reinforce the holes with some gift cards and when I have a nasty, vertical landing? The skewers are broken, but my plane isn't (badly). Like ya'll said, it's a matter of preference, I guess. ;)

@BATTLEAXE, that was actually a pretty good vid. No smoke anywhere it doesn't belong. :LOL: Your star was ugly, but like you say, you're doing this on the fly. I got the idea and the method. That was a successful video.

@Hai-Lee has a valid point about finding your tips. Your counterpoint is valid as well. Why not learn from my lesson in the 10 link limit thread? Edit your first post with direct links to the video tips. You can just keep adding them, and we can just keep telling you how horrible they are. ;):love::LOL:
I have a better idea then making a new thread here on the forums. I will take the advice to edit my first post on this thread, and I will give a direct link to my YouTube channel and make a playlist there of the vids to choose from. That way people are more likely to subscribe and can reference it off any of my posts from any thread. Problem solved.

And thanks for the comments buzz, appreciate it. And yes you can keep telling me how much I suck lol :ROFLMAO:(y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What's a prop collar and how do you use them for skewer reinforcement?
If you're like me, you've got an entire bag full of them. Each plastic tree seems to have at least two that are skewer size. The only problem I've found with them is that I have to reglue them often. The hotglue doesn't always adhere well to whatever plastic they're made of. The upside is, there's nothing to make. Just pop it off the tree and glue it on. ;) Four on the outside of the plane, and four on the inside of the powerpod.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you're like me, you've got an entire bag full of them. Each plastic tree seems to have at least two that are skewer size. The only problem I've found with them is that I have to reglue them often. The hotglue doesn't always adhere well to whatever plastic they're made of. The upside is, there's nothing to make. Just pop it off the tree and glue it on. ;) Four on the outside of the plane, and four on the inside of the powerpod.
If you place the collar in the spot on the plane that it will be glued and trace it out around the outside so you can cut and peel the paper off to expose the foam. Then use the hot tip of your glue gun to melt the foam down some so the collar insets into the foam then glue it in, it should stay a lot better.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
If you have a stash of prop collars, ones you collect but don't use, they work great for skewer reinforcement as well.
If you place the collar in the spot on the plane that it will be glued and trace it out around the outside so you can cut and peel the paper off to expose the foam. Then use the hot tip of your glue gun to melt the foam down some so the collar insets into the foam then glue it in, it should stay a lot better.
Great idea - I’ll definitely be trying this! You could scuff up the back with sandpaper as well.

Tonero311

If you have a stash of prop collars, ones you collect but don't use, they work great for skewer reinforcement as well.

Was looking at these not too long ago thinking they could be really useful for making stabilators. Though the plan/design isn't fully thought through yet. Be looking at this when I do twin edf F-22. Though that's quite a few projects in the future though.

whackflyer

Master member
@BATTLEAXE, got something new for you to try and see if you like. When building a traditional ft wing with the creases in the airfoil, instead of just scoring the crease lines and opening them up with a skewer like you usually would, don’t score the lines and instead remove the paper a quarter inch on each side of the original crease line. Just score the paper when doing that. Then just compress the foam in that half inch wide area with your thumbs or roll it over the edge of the table. In the end, you have an airfoil that doesn’t have any score lines, which makes it stronger, and it’s a much smoother bend. Hope this makes sense! I’d like to see someone try it and hear their results!