Fly harder!
Mentor

Attachments

• B6A6451A-EB3E-4280-9EA0-61E71B7CC524.jpeg
    B6A6451A-EB3E-4280-9EA0-61E71B7CC524.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea part 2 uploaded before part 1 so I was able to edit that one first. the end of part one has an end screen that leads into part 2

chris398mx

Master member
I need some help from @BATTLEAXE or anyone else that could send me some knowledge. I am having trouble forming around formers using the master series techniques. Every time I glue a cone shaped piece together and then try to put the form structure into it I end up with creases like shown below. If I try to wrap and glue the outer skin around the formers at once I end up with a crooked fuse. What am I missing. @Grifflyer , @The Hangar , @buzzbomb @Wildthing , what am I missing. I see some of your work and it looks almost flawless like Overstreet's builds. Please help!!! I am pulling my hair out here. :mad::cry:

wrinkles.jpg

Sero

Elite member
I need some help from @BATTLEAXE or anyone else that could send me some knowledge. I am having trouble forming around formers using the master series techniques. Every time I glue a cone shaped piece together and then try to put the form structure into it I end up with creases like shown below. If I try to wrap and glue the outer skin around the formers at once I end up with a crooked fuse. What am I missing. @Grifflyer , @The Hangar , @buzzbomb @Wildthing , what am I missing. I see some of your work and it looks almost flawless like Overstreet's builds. Please help!!! I am pulling my hair out here. :mad::cry:

View attachment 148435
The foam board has grain and needs to be cut and rolled with the grain. The grain goes along the long side of the sheet. If you look at a full sheet you will see waves going along the long side, the forming/rolling needs to be parallel to those waves.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 148435
It looks like mine lol😆 @Grifflyer would be the best to ask imo. Not sure what John Overstreet is in the forums, but his son is @Splinter189 and ill bet he can help...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 148435
The grain. Bix kind of touches on it, but it's poorly explained. Basically you've got to take the foamboard and cut a piece, and figure out which direction the grain goes. Then you can cut your part out and make a smooth form.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@Sero is right. The grain on the formed piece needs to run parallel to the formed curve. Just by looking at the section you are doing it looks like a tail aft of the cockpit, the grain should be running front to back, making it perpendicular to the farmers you are trying to push into the cone. Right now given what I see in the pics it=s that the grain is parallel to the farmers. The grain on a new sheet will be running parallel to the 30" side. When cutting a piece such as the formed cone that wraps around the tail section the large and small ends should be pointing toward the 20" side and the straight edges that meet in the middle will face the 30" side. This will work in your situation eliminating the wrinkles from the pressure of pushing the inner structure into the cone and give you a considerably smoother finish on the outside while forming on the edge of the table. Think of it as a standing pop can, the grain should be running from top to bottom for example, if that helps.

Wildthing

Legendary member

View attachment 148435
I have never tried rolling FB but I have rolled 6mm Depron into a 70mm diameter tube for an edf by using the wife's rolling pin, applying decent pressure to slightly crush the foam and keep going back and forth until you have you nice tube.
If you are sliding the formers in after it is rolled and that's when the creases start I would say you are forcing it to hard so a little sanding of the formers until it slides in nice and easy.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I was thinking the same as @Wildthing , the formers are designed to be slightly over-sized, or right-sized. but because of the taper, the rear half will be too big and needs trimming. trim until it slides just right. You're pulling a FoamyDM, and forcing it on.:LOL: