Bavarian RC – Heinkel 219 night fighter design and build

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The first release plans and build instructions are done. I edited the first post with a short description of the Heinkel-219 and included links to the Release Plans, Build Instructions and STL-Files. Resource is also uploaded, awaiting approval.

I hope you enjoy the build. If you have any comments, questions or recommendations, just post a message here.

I would also be happy to see your builds of my Heinkel-219 uploaded to the thread.

Any future updates of the plans, the build instructions or STL-files will also be posted here (see also change log in 2nd post) and in the resources.

Happy building!

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Just started to build another one. I was hesitating a bit, but finally I decided to make a build video, so I will record every step. Let‘s see how long it will take.
B7B171B7-25D5-4D1A-B140-764FE6D75F11.jpeg

Last weekend I was testing my prototype with 4S... wow what a difference! The top speed went up to 130 km/h and the fun factor increased as well. I just need to think about adding some holes in the first former of the nacelles to get more cooling for the ESC‘s as the temperature went up to around 70 degree Celsius instead of 30 degree with 3S

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
While building my new Heinkel 219 I realized that I had missed to put the "Nacelle former 7" in V1.0 of the plans. I will incorporate it together with some small corrections into Version 1.1 of the plans, which will come in the next days. Until then let me just attach the intermediate update with the missing nacelle former to this post.

Attachments

• Heinkel-219_Bavarian_RC_V1.0_intermediate_update_1.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

Daniel Liutan

While building my new Heinkel 219 I realized that I had missed to put the "Nacelle former 7" in V1.0 of the plans. I will incorporate it together with some small corrections into Version 1.1 of the plans, which will come in the next days. Until then let me just attach the intermediate update with the missing nacelle former to this post.

Very busy recently. Will build my own one once i got spare time!

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I am doing more updates while building my new Heinkel 219. Today I added cooling inlets and outlets to the nacelles. This should improve a little bit the temperature of the ESC's when running them with 4S. The inlet area is not huge, but it will hopefully create enough air flow through the nacelle.

For sure I could have just cut a hole into the first nacelle former and the nacelle skin, but with the 3D printed parts it looks much cleaner :cool:
The STL files will be added to the V1.1 update.

IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2121.JPG

I also put wing / nacelle transitions on the trailing edge just like the original He-219 had. These are really small pieces, but I think they make a difference to the overall appearance.

IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2125.JPG IMG_2126.JPG

There are even more upgrades I have in mind which I will include in my new Heinkel 219 and the V1.1 of the plans, so stay tuned.

Daniel Liutan

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The build of my new Heinkel 219 was progressing quite well in the last days. After one week with very low temperatures and strong wind we finally had a nice day with decent temperatures allowing to do some painting outside. I started with the black underside, which was easy going. The upper side camouflage will be a different challenge...

IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2463.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG

In parallel I am finalizing the update of the plans and build instructions. The V1.1 should be ready somewhere next week.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
More painting going on today. Had to escape into the garage due to some rain. For the serial number on the vertical stabilizer and the German "Balkenkreuz" on the wing underside I used 3D printed stencils. They work out quite well, you just have to be careful to add only very thin layers of paint and go in multiple passes.

IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2495.JPG IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2505.JPG IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Good news for all of you who have been waiting for my announced update of the plans. I have just uploaded V1.1 of the plans, build instructions and STL-files to the resources... waiting approval. In the meantime you can check the first post of this thread where I have updated the links to the V1.1 stored on Google Drive. The Change Log is in the second post. In the end I made more than 30 improvements, small corrections or even new parts like the 3D printed spinners shown in one of my previous posts.
Enjoy the build and let me know if something is not working or in case you need additional information.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I built an HE-219 plastic model as a boy over 45 years ago. This brings back some great memories. Thank you Bavarian_RC! Now I can build and fly one! Excellent build guide and 3D parts selection by he way. Overall very professional. Definitely on my list to create skins for! Love the WS by the way. Should have a nice presence in the air. Anyone come up with a good antenna array for the nose? 3D printed perhaps? I'd like to have two noses. One for display one for flight. :)

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Those nacelles and especially the fillets off the back of the wing look amazing. It's a shame the rest of the fuselage is still so boxy, makes them look a little out of place.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I built an HE-219 plastic model as a boy over 45 years ago. This brings back some great memories. Thank you Bavarian_RC! Now I can build and fly one! Excellent build guide and 3D parts selection by he way. Overall very professional. Definitely on my list to create skins for! Love the WS by the way. Should have a nice presence in the air. Anyone come up with a good antenna array for the nose? 3D printed perhaps? I'd like to have two noses. One for display one for flight. :)
Thanks Rasterize, great to get such positive feedback. Would be an honor to get a skin design for my Heinkel. I have already thought about adding the antenna for static display, just struggling a bit with how to design it. 3D printed seems a bit too fragile.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Those nacelles and especially the fillets off the back of the wing look amazing. It's a shame the rest of the fuselage is still so boxy, makes them look a little out of place.
Actually it was part of my strategy. My first own design (Noratlas) was completely boxy. For the second one (Heinkel 219) I wanted to push my limits one step further, but at least keep the fuselage simple. The next design should be close to Master Series. One day I‘ll come back and upgrade the Heinkel fuselage... I promise 😜

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
A lot of paint work (and masking) done this weekend. I first put a layer of anthracite on the fuselage and then did the meander camouflage with silver grey. Doing that type of camo with a rattle can is really borderline, but the result is quite OK.

IMG_2545.JPG IMG_2551.JPG IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG

The 3D printed stencils worked great with only little amount of spray going underneath

IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2588.JPG IMG_2592.JPG

The masking of the wing was a nightmare. Did I mention that I hate masking? The process for painting was the same as for the fuselage, first layer anthracite and then the meander camouflage with silver grey.

IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2602.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG

Final step for today were the letters on the side of the fuselage. The only remaining step will be to paint the inside of the "T" in black ... but I'll keep that for tomorrow.

IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2624.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG