Help! Beginner Equipment Recommendations

okrylan

Hello my name is Rylan and I want to get into the RC hobby! I have had experience with store bought quads but that is about it. I want to build a large scale classic uav type plane but I have to get my foundation down first.

I would like to do a scratchbuild!

I have been binging all the beginner videos on YouTube and have found a fuselage tutorial I like. I just don't know what electronics I should use.

I have attached the Noob Tube plane I would like to build.

From what I can gather here are the electronics I will need :

1 Brushless motor
5 Servos (2 aileron, 2 elevator, 1 rudder)
5 servo arms
push rods
2 Y connectors
Receiver
Transmitter remote
Battery
ESC

In terms of the transmitter and receiver I have seen the flysky fs-i6 and the ia6b receiver. Are those any good? there more budget but still seem feature packed.
I have no clue what motor to get or how to tell between them to be honest. I want enough power to be able to put these parts on a bigger plane but also I don't want it to be overkill for this build. Same goes for batteries.

I want parts that will last and I won't outgrow instantly like I would a pre-made ready to fly but at the same time I don't want to go all in and break the bank.

Im located in the US and would if at all possible buy my parts from within the USA for shipping reasons. I also know that a lot of non-chain hobby shops have closed their storefront and if I can help support them I would like to do that. Please link any stores or products that are in-stock, ready to ship, located in the USA!

Thank you so much for any equipment advice or any suggestions!

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hello my name is Rylan and I want to get into the RC hobby! I have had experience with store bought quads but that is about it. I want to build a large scale classic uav type plane but I have to get my foundation down first.

I would like to do a scratchbuild!

I have been binging all the beginner videos on YouTube and have found a fuselage tutorial I like. I just don't know what electronics I should use.

I have attached the Noob Tube plane I would like to build.

From what I can gather here are the electronics I will need :

1 Brushless motor
5 Servos (2 aileron, 2 elevator, 1 rudder)
5 servo arms
push rods
2 Y connectors
Receiver
Transmitter remote
Battery
ESC

In terms of the transmitter and receiver I have seen the flysky fs-i6 and the ia6b receiver. Are those any good? there more budget but still seem feature packed.
I have no clue what motor to get or how to tell between them to be honest. I want enough power to be able to put these parts on a bigger plane but also I don't want it to be overkill for this build. Same goes for batteries.

I want parts that will last and I won't outgrow instantly like I would a pre-made ready to fly but at the same time I don't want to go all in and break the bank.

Im located in the US and would if at all possible buy my parts from within the USA for shipping reasons. I also know that a lot of non-chain hobby shops have closed their storefront and if I can help support them I would like to do that. Please link any stores or products that are in-stock, ready to ship, located in the USA!

Thank you so much for any equipment advice or any suggestions!
Welcome to the hobby and the forums. Scratch build is definitely the way to go, you get to enjoy the build, which teaches you how to fix it when you crash, because you will. That's what makes scratch building with FB so nice because it is cheap and easy.

I am sure you have seen a couple the FT models and their tutorials, and you chose the Noob Tube. That's awesome! I am definitely interested and will be watching. Rarely are their people that come to the table with a plan. I dig it.

The parts you listed will be more then enough to get the NT airborne. Do you know what size of motor or prop you are going to use? Maybe we could throw a couple of suggestions your way to help steer you in the right direction if you feel you need it.

Just shout out if you have any questions (y)

Bricks

Master member
As many know I am a Spektrum guy but for the price of admission the Jumper would be a better setup in the long run. and being he is talking UAV the extra channels and telemtry may come in handy.

FDS

Elite member
It’s a big price jump now. Don’t forget the Jumper T12 Pro is out at $100. It has a small screen and is smaller in hand overall, which not everyone likes but other than that it does everything the T16 does including an internal multi protocol module.