Solved Beginner FT Flyer with an A2208 - will it do well?

mastermalpass

Elite member
With the Mini Scout and my BipePipe Pro, landing gear hasn't been good for smooth landings as the grass has just been too long and the ground too lumpy. But, to save the prop, I prefer having them.

Small planes don't mind catching the ground and getting flipped onto their back. Attach the landing gear with tape, so that if you're going too fast when you hit the ground, the gear will tear off, slowing the plane down as it does and reducing the chances of the prop getting snapped. Afterwards, you can just tape the gear back on again. :)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hello guys,

Newbie here. I am building my very first airplane - a slightly modified version of the FT Flyer with the servos on the tail instead of the wing. These are the electronics I am planning to use:

Motor - A2208 - 1400KV (I’m not buying from Aliexpress, by the way. Just for reference)
ESC - One of those ‘cheap red‘ 30A Chinese ones
Prop - 8x4.5” - probably a slow fly, pic attached
Battery - 3S 900 mah, around 60-70 gm according to Amazon

Two reasons for moving the servos back - since the motor is a bit bulky, I was afraid the airplane could get nose heavy. As a bonus, the wing gets removable. I don’t see any downsides of this mod, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t have lots of options for the parts because of my location and fairly low budget. They could be ordered from China, but I don’t want to sit back and wait for another month.

Is the prop a bit too big for this motor with a 3S pack? And is this setup good (or at least satisfactory) for my first flights, considering wing loading and speed? I chose the 3S to compensate for the extra weight, and to get some performance later on which a 2S probably won’t give.
View attachment 186492 . View attachment 186490
i think that your motor may not be powerful enough for that prop..
the recmmended is 8040.. i may be splitting hairs here but i would go for the 8040

abraarsameer

I got a local shop to deliver the electronics on parcel because I can’t go out right now and damn, they ended up sending a 2212 rather than a 2208 because they don’t have it. They didn’t even mention when I gave the list. :whistle:

I’ve seen some people on this forum flying the FT Flyer with motors that big before, so I’ve decided to just go ahead and try it. Prepared for any losses on the maiden flight.

If it flies good, I’ll keep it like that. If it doesn’t, I’ll make a more suitable airplane and possibly try to source a smaller motor for the flier. Trouble is most of the smaller motors I could find in local online stores (like 2204 or 2205) are high kv and sold in sets for quadcopters, and the remaining ones are a bit too expensive. China seems to be the only option. But for now, chances if I at least somewhat succeed in getting it work, my dad will get more liberal with his wallet.

What do you guys think about flying that airplane with a motor 3x as heavy and powerful compared to the recommended one?

Corsair714

I got a local shop to deliver the electronics on parcel because I can’t go out right now and damn, they ended up sending a 2212 rather than a 2208 because they don’t have it. They didn’t even mention when I gave the list. :whistle:

I’ve seen some people on this forum flying the FT Flyer with motors that big before, so I’ve decided to just go ahead and try it. Prepared for any losses on the maiden flight.

If it flies good, I’ll keep it like that. If it doesn’t, I’ll make a more suitable airplane and possibly try to source a smaller motor for the flier. Trouble is most of the smaller motors I could find in local online stores (like 2204 or 2205) are high kv and sold in sets for quadcopters, and the remaining ones are a bit too expensive. China seems to be the only option. But for now, chances if I at least somewhat succeed in getting it work, my dad will get more liberal with his wallet.

What do you guys think about flying that airplane with a motor 3x as heavy and powerful compared to the recommended one?
Uh I wouldn't do that. I'd build something like a FT P-40, Simple Scout, or something like that. They're pretty easy to fly and that motor would fit them better.

abraarsameer

It’s been a while since I visited the forums, so I thought it would be good to report back my experience.

I flew the FT Flyer with an 1400KV A2212, 3S 900 mAh, and 8x4.5 slowfly. Throttle was hard-limited to around 60%. I didn’t have any trouble flying, except a crash on the maiden while trying to dodge power lines. The tail broke off and took a little repair.

It flew quite a few times after that, with loads of fun with the extra power. My flying field is ruled by falcons who don’t like anything on their territory. But it’s pretty cool in itself playing catch-me-if-you-can with them while hanging on the wind. I had a few crashes trying to do torque rolls and stuff, but nothing too bad. On its final day someone asked me to “show how full throttle looks like” (full throttle on the stick, 60%). So I did it, and after some time a wing ripped off and the plane came down spinning from like 100 ft. It‘s still repair-worthy, but I decided that was enough.

Later on I made the delta with not so much fun flying, and then the Cub. Same electronics, except with a 2200 mAh pack. It flew amazingly nice for almost 25 mins on the maiden, to the point it got boring. That was 2 weeks ago, and I couldn’t go out to fly since because covid is soaring here.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The FT flyer was my first foamboard build and I started off with a 2s 500 mAh battery and eventually progressed to a 3s 1000mAh battery. It was the most fun you can have with your clothes on, brilliant little plane. Mine is still in 1 piece even after several hard landings in the early days.
Even my son has enjoyed flying it too and went on to build the FT Delta just as you did and was just as disappointed when it didn't fly as good as the Flyer.
I progressed to the Cub too along with other models, yet the flyer still brings a smile to my face as does the 3ch Tiny trainer.
How sad that Flite Test stopped designing fun models like the flyer and Tiny Trainer which could be built up in a few hours and gave so much pleasure, to beginners, intermediate and experienced fliers alike.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Speaking of landings... should I use a gear or do belly landings to start with?
I think the only reason to not put landing gear on is for ascetics (warbirds sometimes look silly flying by at scale mach 1 with wire gear hanging out). I want landing gear if I can do it without ruining the ascetics. It is especially good to maiden a new build because you instantly get a feel for trim when it lifts off (or doesn't).

If you have landing gear and want to hand launch you still can - and landing gear will save your props on landing in many cases.