Beginner needs help

Phin G

Elite member
If you are looking for a cheap and good option for a transmitter ( 40-60) with ok range then i would go for the flySky transmitter range (see pic 1)

However if your budget is higher (70-110) then i would suggest getting Frsky transmitters. (Pic 2) They both can be used with multiple models and are both good choices.

pic 1
085B410C-D1BF-4618-BB9B-A92C131B94B5.jpeg
Pic 2
C915E42A-782D-4167-A32D-2F2B96411C8F.jpeg
For batteries I always go for tattoo batteries, on the page it should say the type of battery you need for it.

edit: on the website it says that you should get a 2S/3S battery (500 - 800 mAH) with an xt30 connector.

UberSuperBoss

If you are looking for a cheap and good option for a transmitter ( 40-60) with ok range then i would go for the flySky transmitter range (see pic 1)

However if your budget is higher (70-110) then i would suggest getting Frsky transmitters. (Pic 2) They both can be used with multiple models and are both good choices.

pic 1
View attachment 204254
Pic 2
View attachment 204255
For batteries I always go for tattoo batteries, on the page it should say the type of battery you need for it.

edit: on the website it says that you should get a 2S/3S battery (500 - 800 mAH) with an xt30 connector.

Ok thanks! I'll check it out!

bisco

Elite member
the model specs tell you the battery range, and make sure you get the right connector for the esc.

also make sure the esc and motor have pre soldered bullet connectors

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

pic 1
View attachment 204254
Pic 2
View attachment 204255

The FRsky is the better of the 2 radios, but it uses Open TX software so its not as user friendly as the Flysky system.
If you can afford it that would be my recommendation, although programing the Taranis is more complicated I would suggest watching some You Tube reviews first.
However, the Flysky is ideal for beginners on a tight budget as its a good reliable system, easy to use and wont break the bank. Receivers are also very reasonably priced as you will be needing more in the future when you start to expand your hanger.
The good news is that when you eventually progress onto a multiprotocol transmitter in the future, you can continue to use your Flysky receivers and just sell the transmitter to another beginner (y)

kilroy07

Legendary member
I also vote for the Flysky radio. It's hard to beat it's prince point and as others said, either pass it along when you upgrade or keep it so you and friends can fly together.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I also vote for the Flysky radio. It's hard to beat it's prince point and as others said, either pass it along when you upgrade or keep it so you and friends can fly together.

Kraft radios. Don't have to worry about programming it, just hook up the receiver and go. And you can usually find 2-3 of the transmitters on eBay for cheaper than a brand new FlySky. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Thought those were all in museums by now! (although saying that... I might have one out in the garage...) :rolleyes:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thought those were all in museums by now! (although saying that... I might have one out in the garage...) :rolleyes:

LOL actually, I know several people in my club who still have some. They either bought them or MADE them in the factory, since they were made in Vista, CA, and San Marcos, where our club is based, is a neighboring city of Vista.

And I know, it's a tongue in cheek comment, but I've caught hell for suggesting Spektrums and not the "flavor of the month" radio because they're more expensive than some other radios. So I figured, "Why not suggest something you can pick up cheap, since that's the biggest concern here?" LOL

Phin G

Elite member
the model specs tell you the battery range, and make sure you get the right connector for the esc.

also make sure the esc and motor have pre soldered bullet connectors
If he is getting the bundle kit with the power packs then it should come with pre soldered bullet connectors and it should come with an xt30 connector. I think.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have seen second hand Flysky's on Ebay for £25 and less, (that's less than $35 to you guy's over the pond). They are not much more expensive to buy new either, seen them on Banggood's site less than £50 with a 6ch receiver included.
The receivers are dirt cheap to buy individually too @ around £10 for a 6ch version.

Bricks

Master member
If your on book of faces check market place in your area may find one heck of a deal there. Me personally have never bought a new transmitter until just recently when I purchased my Radiomaster TX16s and that was only because it was a smoking deal.