Beginner RC Aviation (Episode Suggestion)

JonMackie

I just realized that I'd posted this in the wrong area but can not figure out how to delete my previous thread from "Site Suggestions."

Here goes again,

I have an idea/request that I'm hoping is not redundant. Over the past month I have been researching RC aviation day and night, loving every minute of it. There are so many great sources available online and such a wealth of knowledge and experience to be had. I have also been watching Flitetest and have seen almost every episode! My suggestion is this: Perhaps you guys could put together an in-depth episode on what it means to get into the RC hobby and what type of investment will be needed. There are many aspects of the hobby that are initially quite confusing and I know that with your ingenuity, you could clarify many of these foggy areas.

The things that I would find most helpful as a beginner are as follows.
- A brief introduction on electric motors (brushless, outrunner, inrunner, KV ratings, size ratings, grams.. ect)
- An introduction to battery systems (eg: what does the C mean on a lipo? mAh? What different do cells make?)
- A detailed setup of an ARF including soldering techniques, how to hook up and ESC, options like low battery alarms, how to reverse a motor, tips and battery connector soldering and what connectors work best.. What to look for in an ESC (what do the amps mean) Servo connections/reversing.. ect)

Perhaps I am missing a few basics but you get the idea.
I fully realize that all of this information is available online but I love the way you guys explain things and make it interesting and entertaining. Thanks for all of your hard work, I love the show and I'm excited for the new content that 2013 will bring!
Good works guys!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That would be cool, information on FliteTest is available, but it is also spread out over several episodes.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I think i remember someone writing a book on this subject ;-)

Meh, got so much support that it was overwhelming to work with. BTW, I was reading through it the other day... I should have finished it back then as a beginner! I could overlook so many things now!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Is this book still available?

Well, it was more of a brochure than a book... let me see if I can find it...

*five minutes later*

Ahh, here it is, and I am not at all ashamed of the layout! I worked really hard to get the page layout right :)

Maybe I should retake my initial goal again, to make a nice introduction book for new RC'ers out there. I bet a "Donate!" button could fetch in some bucks too for the time invested.

JonMackie

Maybe I should retake my initial goal again, to make a nice introduction book for new RC'ers out there. I bet a "Donate!" button could fetch in some bucks too for the time invested.

Haha, I know I'd pay for something like that!
Thanks for posting the link

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
But there again, I don't want to end up being like some people who sell that book for a living...

I know what you mean Andre but remember you have to be very irritating marketing it to resemble the link.
I used to enjoy Dave's videos but his shameless marketing style and absolutely ignoring the wishes of his audience has driven me away (I even purchased his first course and several designs).

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I know what you mean Andre but remember you have to be very irritating marketing it to resemble the link.
I used to enjoy Dave's videos but his shameless marketing style and absolutely ignoring the wishes of his audience has driven me away (I even purchased his first course and several designs).

Thurmond

Still, I don't like selling stuff, because there is a kind of compromise with the expectations of the customer. Also there is the small group who can't afford it - I for example would prefer reading forums instead of paying $5 or more for a small booklet.

I would rather publish it for free, and discreetly remind the readers that if they enjoyed the book and have a few greens left over they could put them in the bucket as a thankyou...

JonMackie

I would rather publish it for free, and discreetly remind the readers that if they enjoyed the book and have a few greens left over they could put them in the bucket as a thankyou...

I'm not sure if it already exists, but that it the type of thing I'd like to see established for Flite Test. I am university student and don't have a lot of cash lying around but on the same token, I have really benefited from this show/community and would like to contribute to its ongoing success!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I proposed a similar idea to Chad, but it never got anywhere. And Chad doesn't like donation support it sems :p

JonMackie

Chad needs to remember that a healthy relationship is give and take and that if FT blesses people to the point that they want to give, they should be allowed! That being said, I'm sure there are legal responsibilities that accompany such donations and it could complicate things if it wasn't laid out properly.

JonMackie

Back to the topic at hand though, hey FliteTest, would you consider doing an episode like this? Perhaps a 30 minute special?

JonMackie

I'm fairly new to FT and was wondering if mods usually answer threads like this and how long that usually takes? I promise I'm not being impatient, I'm just wondering if I should expect a response?