Beginner Transmitters

Bolvon72

Mentor
The DX5E with a couple few orangeRx 615s will come in below that price (out of stock). I have used the Hobbyking HK6S http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16239__HobbyKing_HK6S_2_4Ghz_FHSS_6Ch_Tx_Rx_Mode_2_.html and I don't hate it. I got it by accident and put it to use with a plane here and there. It has reverse and elevon settings so it will handle the full line of swappables.

It has not failed me but there are no advanced features. I do like the aux channel on a knob, which is good for flaps.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Tell you what, I've got my old DX5e that I haven't used in quite a while. If you're in the US so shipping isn't nasty, I'll sell it to you for 30 bucks plus shipping. Should be able to put it priority mail. I've never had an issue with it but I obviously won't guarantee anything. I upgraded to a dx8 is the only reason it sits. Occasionally I use it as a trainer to teach new pilots but I still have a DX4 for that.

Otherwise, the DX4 is a pretty decent radio and like Bolvon72 said it's great with the super cheap receivers from hobbyking that are under 7 bucks.

If you are looking for something better, the Turnigy 9x has a huge following on here. It has a lot of cool features and if you search the forums I'm sure you'll find more than a little information on it.

I probably should have asked what it is that you are trying to fly first. What are your goals for flying? That will determine your transmitter.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
http://www.toysonics.com/flysky-fs-ct4c-2.4ghz-4ch-transmitter-and-receiver-air-heli.html

This would most likely do what you need. But If you intend to get a radio that you can grow with you might want to keep looking around. Something like a DX6i is programmable and allows you to program several models but would be well above your 75$ price point.
But if you are committed to the hobby and pretty sure you will be flying for a while and buying more planes...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If you think you'll be flying other models and growing into more complex models you will not regret having more channels and options like expo when you get better models especially more acrobatic (less stable) models.

elliotbarnes

Thanks AK Flyer for offering to sell your DX5e. I will think about it. And I'm going to start flying with the FT Nutball and work my way up as I become better and better.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If your plans involve growing into more complex models you will find the limits of a DX5e or similar radio very quickly and wish you had a better radio like a DX6i or 9X

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm doing the same thing, starting with the Nutball. I was actually waiting for the parts for my Tricopter to arrive from China and got hooked on the build videos. I had ordered the Turnigy 9x and got impatient, so I ordered the HK 6 channel from the US warehouse. The 9x beat it by one day.
For the price, the 9x is nice. But if you just need something to get started, the HK @$29 and here in three days, can't be beat.