Beginner's plane

Gabriel Perry

Hey everyone. Me and my family have been watching FliteTest on YouTube in the evenings, and we've decided as a family to go and purchase a plane that we can fly as a family. For those experienced in the different models that they have put out, which of the FliteTest models would be best for us to start with, both as a build challenge and as one that is "safe" for 10+ to fly? Understandably, we plan on rebuilding it a few time as we learn to fly, but getting an idea of which model is easy for people to learn with would be very helpful.

And of course, a big thanks to FliteTest for providing such easy access into the RC community. We all love your videos. :)

kdobson83

Depends. What available electronics do you have? Who will be flying?
Without any information, I'd recommend starting with the Tiny Trainer. It goes from a glider, to a 3 channel, to a 4 channel depending on what your wanting to do. Built light it flys VERY slow and true. Electronics are cheaper too making it easier to get more in the air at once.
Anyways, that's my 2cents. Start with the tiny trainer. Once your thumbs get used to the sticks move up to a Storch or a Spitfire.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
If you want to get right into flying the best way is the hobbyzone duet. It's $60 ready to fly and flies incredibly well. As far as building one yourself I would consider the explorer as well. It's very stable and can also fly as both a 3ch and 4ch. Best of luck with your introduction to the hobby!

Vimana89

Legendary member
If you want to get right into flying the best way is the hobbyzone duet. It's $60 ready to fly and flies incredibly well. As far as building one yourself I would consider the explorer as well. It's very stable and can also fly as both a 3ch and 4ch. Best of luck with your introduction to the hobby!
No experience with the Duet, but looks like a great option. The Hobby Zone Champ is what helped me learn to fly. As far as FT kits you can't go wrong with the Tiny Trainer.