Beriev Be - 103 (Snipe) amphibious seaplane, build in foamed pvc plastic.

leaded50

Legendary member
Beautiful work as always! (y)(y)
i can like this yes :sneaky:, the green windows make it extra though .

Today, by info from Beriev Company in Russia:
"Be - 103´s generous wings, had some features along the lines of a "wing in ground effect (WIG)", intended for skimming over the wavetops on an air cushion generated by its flight -- even if the Be - 103 is a true flying boat, capable of flying at altitude. The wing was profiled to act as a float system, permitting an easy "unstick" from the water, with resources from WIG knowledge. Flaps weren't fitted because they were incompatible with the "wing in water" scheme, and the leverage off ground effect with the big wing made them unnecessary anyway."

-- then my former "tech" earlier in this post was more or less correct. It was a reason for the hulls step coming forward of the NP/CG, not normal by flying boats/seaplane :) Its a "hybrid" airplane with ground effect features!

Scotto

Elite member
Would it be fair to call it a highly evolved ekranoplan? I have a feeling that word is insulting even if it is mixed in with the most genuine high praises and glowing adjectives. Not sure why. It looks awesome. And you have done an amazing job of modeling it. Like MonteC said it looks injection molded. You really should be getting paid to do this. Do you have a new favorite material? Are your motor pod holders made of the same plastic material or are they aluminum?

leaded50

Legendary member
Would it be fair to call it a highly evolved ekranoplan? I have a feeling that word is insulting even if it is mixed in with the most genuine high praises and glowing adjectives. Not sure why. It looks awesome. And you have done an amazing job of modeling it. Like MonteC said it looks injection molded. You really should be getting paid to do this. Do you have a new favorite material? Are your motor pod holders made of the same plastic material or are they aluminum?
- naaah... Ecranoplanes/WIG.. wing in ground effect aircrafts are sorted in 3 different classes, currently only apply to craft carrying 12 passengers or more.
  1. A craft which is certified for operation only in ground effect;
  2. A craft which is certified to temporarily increase its altitude to a limited height outside the influence of ground effect but not exceeding 150 m (490 ft) above the surface; and
  3. A craft which is certified for operation outside ground effect and exceeding 150 m (490 ft) above the surface.
- in a way you could called it WIG class 3. Designer Mr. Beriev have worked with ecranoplanes, and know its features, together with laminar flow effect and such. It cant be called any evolved ekranoplane, then would also called any fighter jet with similar wingarea style, or a delta it too... I rather think best word is call it a plane with features of olso a ekranoplane :)

Get paid? well, never understood that word, and my pockets isnt green with dollarasigns inside :ROFLMAO: (sad enough)
Im not sure to call it a favorite material, it was lovely to work and shape, but i can see "shorts" on it... eg. weigth. I will rather say, its great on some builds, on other not.
Motor pods holders are of wood! Its paintstirrer sticks of one type by a shopchain in Scandinavia... They have two types , this one is dam hard, and strong. 250mm long sticks, and they are not easy break, even by my 75kg stepping on it. Its possible they can vibrate /twist a little (as seen on other planes build with similar pod/holder style) but that doesnt matter, it will be minor anyway. And for sure dont moves more than alu will done.

Ill release better/more pictures later, when everything get innstalled (motors eg )

leaded50

Legendary member
got a "drawback".... i knowed possible one motor was problem... in tests it showed, and by disassembly one magnet inside is broken in pieces. New motor in order..

beriev be-103.png

Last edited: