Best 1st RTF RC airplane for $100?

earthsciteach

We have one student in our RC club at school who does not have an airplane. One my students has spearheaded a "buy ____ a plane," fund raiser within our club. We figure the funds will amount to around $100. What do y'all out there in FT land recommend for that amount as a first pane?
Thanks!

earthsciteach

Yep, RTF. The Wild Hawk is a good plane, but not in its stock version. I have one - its a beast! Upgraded it to unlimited vertical.

The BH Sky Surfer/HK Bixler is definitely a great choice. I have no experience with the 800 mm version. Our first thought was the HZ Mini-Cub. I still think the BEST 1st plane is the HZ Super Cub (a bit partial), but that is out of price range.

NP has that 25% discount going, but I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any of their "trainer" planes.

teflyer

Full Circle
yeah, usually their cheap RTF planes have brushed motors and if it is 3 channel, it has that weird slide throttle thing.

There is this one from Nitroplanes you could consider if you are going to take advantage of the 25% off. Brushless, uses lipo battery and 4 channel 2.4GHz.
2.4Ghz 4 Channel Dynam Hawk Sky Electric Brushless Powered Glider RTF

oh, and the skysurfer in the Nine Eagles Version. It looks pretty small though. The Bixler, at least from what I know, with shipping, is out of the price range.

Fishbonez

How about a donation? Will your little club take a donation to assist in their quest? That way the kids can feel some of the support they have from the RC Community and if you raise more than you intend to spend maybe the extra mula could goto supplies for the club. Just a thought and of course I would be willing to donate. If it is an idea that would work PM me and we can work it out.

Oh and yes I think the Bixler would be an excellant choice because I do not trust BH :cool:

earthsciteach

Bonez, thanks for your offer. But, I don't want to solicit folks on the forum. We should be able to raise enough moola from within to buy the kid a decent airplane. We're already 1/2 way there from 3 people.

But, aside from the mini-cub and Champ, I'm not sure what is a decent 1st airplane for the money. The Sky Surfer is close, at around $150. Same with the Bixler. This airframe has taught 3/4 of our kids (and 1 teacher) to fly RC. Top notch, even from BH.

Fishbonez

Ahh man is that a dude with a black eye? I always thought he was a cool dude with a patch like a pirate arggg

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I have the nine eagles sky surfer and it is a great plane but maybe a bit twitchy
for a novice....but it has enough oomph to take a keychain/spy camera with a penny stuck
on the rear stab to even up the wieght IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0397.JPG
My 8 year old has is eye on this one....but he has to master the nine eagles sky 500 yet
I have crashed this plane several times and the wing just pops off (as designed) and it spent
three days in a tree but is still flying

Last edited:

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I think it is slightly smaller earthsci...the wingspan is 800mm, the tx can be swapped mode1 or 2
its a very stable flyer with the slight polyhedral and it can glide forever the flight times are
quite impressive....to be honest i have always been pleased with the nine eagles build quality
and own three of them

earthsciteach

The plane has been determined! One of the kids found a slightly used and lightly abused HZ SC for an amazing price on craigslist! I'm picking it up this evening. We'll just slap on a couple of new parts and she'll be good as new!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Can't beat that. Congratulations to your student and much kudos to the students who raised the money.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The plane has been determined! One of the kids found a slightly used and lightly abused HZ SC for an amazing price on craigslist! I'm picking it up this evening. We'll just slap on a couple of new parts and she'll be good as new!

Awesome! Can't beat the HZ SC for a first plane! Especially when presented with a more affordable option.
That's pretty cool that the kids were able to get that done and take care of one of their own!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

That's great! Can you post a video of him flying it?