Best beginner kits AVAILABLE IN UK

Hi,

I'm extensively planning the build of my first aircraft, and would certainly like to do a kit as opposed to scratch building. What are the best flite test kits available in the UK - say from Model Shop Leeds etc.

I'd be grateful if someone could take a look and give me their opinion!

Thanks

The Fopster

Master member
If you've never flown before, the Explorer or Tiny Trainer would be my suggestion . And I'd practice on a flight simulator first - there are free sims available on PC, phone or iPad and they'd make the learning curve less steep. I started on a scratch built FT Flyer built from Hobbycraft foam board. Lengthen the nose by maybe 2 cm versus the plans to compensate for the heavier UK foamboard and you've got a robust and very easy to fly first trainer.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Tiny Trainer is in stock in the UK if you dig about. I saw one on Sussex Models website the other day. Tough, versatile, cheap. Motor, batteries etc easy to get from Hobbyking.
As noted above Westboard can be used for larger FT designs, lengthen the nose a bit to counter the larger tail surfaces on FT designs to ensure they balance. I have done this on the Simple Sportster and Scout, both are good learner planes.

Tiny Trainer is in stock in the UK if you dig about. I saw one on Sussex Models website the other day. Tough, versatile, cheap. Motor, batteries etc easy to get from Hobbyking.
As noted above Westboard can be used for larger FT designs, lengthen the nose a bit to counter the larger tail surfaces on FT designs to ensure they balance. I have done this on the Simple Sportster and Scout, both are good learner planes.
Thanks for your reply. I wanted to do my first build as a kit so the build goes smoothly as I try to get my balance with the electronics.
I'm not too keen on a 3 channel plane though - I'm a bit of a plane nerd myself so have a bit of experience in sims, so I am pretty well acquainted with turn coordination etc with 4 channels.
Any other planes you can recommend?

FDS

Elite member
Tiny trainer is 4 channel.
I should know, I flew mine for over a year until the wing started to fold from flying inverted in 20mph headwinds.

Tiny trainer is 4 channel.
I should know, I flew mine for over a year until the wing started to fold from flying inverted in 20mph headwinds.
Ah - it says on the store that its 3 channel but I guess its one of the ones where you add an arbitrary amount of servos?

danbob

I wouldn't rule out a 3 channel, although sims help with muscle memory, the experience of putting a plane in the air is quite different and everything happens that much quicker, better to get acclimatised with something easy then moving on.
The tiny trainer comes with two wings, 3 channel an a 4 channel. Simple cub you can start with 3 channel then add ailerons once comfortable.
Good luck with what you decide to go for

I wouldn't rule out a 3 channel, although sims help with muscle memory, the experience of putting a plane in the air is quite different and everything happens that much quicker, better to get acclimatised with something easy then moving on.
The tiny trainer comes with two wings, 3 channel an a 4 channel. Simple cub you can start with 3 channel then add ailerons once comfortable.
Good luck with what you decide to go for
Ah that sounds like a good setup - so you start with 3 channel, and once you're ready swap the wings and its ready to be a four channel?

danbob

That's correct for the tiny trainer, the simple cub you will need to add the ailerons to the the wing, which is easy to do

FDS

Elite member
Tiny trainer motor-
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/secret-motor-1808-2400kv-cw-0-1-laminations.html
Light, cheap bags of power. EU warehouse is fine.
Tiny trainer has TWO WINGS IN THE KIT, and two nose options. The wings are a polyhedral 3ch then a dihedral 4ch.
No need to hack anything. Way better than the cub IMO. Can be a Chuck glider, 2ch glider, 3ch powered, 4 ch powered and run on cheap small 2s batteries or 3s for more power and vertical climbing. It’s plenty fast on 2s.

Tiny trainer motor-
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/secret-motor-1808-2400kv-cw-0-1-laminations.html
Light, cheap bags of power. EU warehouse is fine.
Tiny trainer has TWO WINGS IN THE KIT, and two nose options. The wings are a polyhedral 3ch then a dihedral 4ch.
No need to hack anything. Way better than the cub IMO. Can be a Chuck glider, 2ch glider, 3ch powered, 4 ch powered and run on cheap small 2s batteries or 3s for more power and vertical climbing. It’s plenty fast on 2s.
Thanks!

FDS

Elite member
Don’t Banggood anything if you want to build it before Xmas. Regardless of what they say about shipping. Similarly anything not in stock in Hobbyking EU or UK warehouse is not going to work. 5g servos are better than 9g if you can get them. If you get 9g then fit the two in the fuselage further back than stock, TT’s only vice is being nose heavy. I have 3.8g servos on my wing, still perfect after all that flying.

FDS

Elite member
Not on Hobbyking, assuming there’s is anything in stock. They have stock problems on popular items even when everything is fine!
Not sure if the stock cut outs on FT mini kits fit 9g. Some mods may be required.