Best Birthday Present Eva'!!!!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
found a laser cutter @ the local hackerspace, Xerocraft. and to believe i thought 45 was gonna be a downer. :p

once we got the settings down, i think the longest cut was 4.5 mins. once i get it down, i think i can cut an entire plane in 20 from start to finish.

20180706_145828.jpg

20180706_145751.jpg

i also think i have it figured out how to digitize my own plans and have them cut. hope to have all this figured so i can have our red bull racer submission don as well and turned in with a full digital plan, .svg files, and .stl files.

can we say game changer? just wish the cut bed was bigger. it can only do 29x17 so i have to ungroup and re-arrange all the plans. a bit tedious but once done, you never have to do it agian.

for those of you who haven't heard of, or looked into it, google "makerspace" of "hackerspace" with your zip code. they are a 501 non profit and chances are you have one close by. who knows wha resources they have for you to use.

laters,

me :cool:

Bricks

Master member
Really ..Really nice job, looks so cool. I tried doing a search to find makerspacea using both terms you mentioned and came up with nothing, any tips I tried both makerspace and hackerspace.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry no video but hopefully some pics later.

she flew perfect right out the gate. no trim required. she does need some more umph though. i think i will be finding a better motor, the c-pack 2215 was about cooked by the time i came back in. it was not happy and although ok, definitely was NOT a racer like speed.

at the end of the flight i had a very funny incident in which it appeared i had lost my left aileron, thought for sure i was going to loose the plane. was able to gather it up and fly it back in with left rudder only but it was close. once on the ground everything seemed fine so not sure whats up. will have to do a little digging before we try again. wondering if my flaperon mix was having issues.

as for maker space or hacker space, you may not have one around. i would try calling the local library and ask them if they have any idea.

laters,

Namactual

Elite member
Here in Flint we have a place called "Factory Two". They have everything you could possibly want to use for any project.

i think i will be finding a better motor, the c-pack 2215 was about cooked by the time i came back in. it was not happy and although ok, definitely was NOT a racer like speed.
What prop are you using?

I used an APC 9x6 for my maiden and she had plenty of power. It's not as fast as my F-22's for sure, but it was not really slow either. I really liked that I could pour on the coals and it was very stable and predictable.

Once I put on the APC 8x8 she was a rocket. For all of about 40 seconds or so.:p

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i was using a 10x4.5 SF because i thought the pull on a 9x4.5 was too little. i am also using a 4S battery which they don't even list it as being able to use with this motor. maybe i will try a 9x6 apc and see what i think before i go and do anything crazy.

thanks,

Namactual

Elite member
Wow. No wonder that motor was hot.

I am running 3s. I would not suggest a 9x6 on 4s. I think 8x6 would be as far as I would go on 4s. Your pitch speed would be in the 100mph range. You would never hit that number in reality, but It should be quick.

Edit: an 8x6 is still over prop'd on 4s. I would still take it easy on the throttle.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
i was using a 10x4.5 SF because i thought the pull on a 9x4.5 was too little. i am also using a 4S battery which they don't even list it as being able to use with this motor

Edit: an 8x6 is still over prop'd on 4s. I would still take it easy on the throttle.

What he ^^^ said. You could be okay with the 8 x 6 but you should keep a close eye on the motor temps.

That's a beautiful pic of her in the air - just surprised there isn't a smoke trail ;)

DamoRC

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
10x4.5 on a 2215? Wow. You're lucky you didn't have smoke!

9x6 on a 3S, wouldn't even think of a 4S with that combo...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
something tells me this time i won't fail @ my baby bugatti build... :devilish:

20180710_132621.jpg

took a little more work than i thought. i went down with the file and i was convinced that i had done everything right. all the colors were perfect, everything. for some reason when we went to import into the laser cutter, only little fractions were showing up. we looked and looked and finally found a few images that did not appear on the screen for some reason. we removed those and tried again but still no luck. finally we found 1 path out of a thousand that for some reason had a "fill" attached to it. this confused the program into thinking it was etching not cutting. once we had that, 6 mins later i had my first bugatti.

thank you Ben for designing and making plans available, and to Jeremy the awesome dude @ Xerocraft that has been helping me.

laters,