Best designs to study?

CampRobber

I am trying to learn how to design fixed wing balsa models. Are there any freely available plans for aircraft that in your opinion are really well-designed? I am especially interested in any that contain commentary from the designer about *how* they decided on designing it as they did.

I'm most interested in high-aspect ratio FPVs and slope gliders but that's less important than the explaining why.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
There is a large source of older style balsa designs, (and some modern), at www.outerzone.co.uk

I use the site for inspiration and have built a few rendered in FB.

A lot have the article which describes the build and the history behind the design.

Have fun!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Everything you could ever want to know about R/C aircraft design in Andy Lennon books. Here's the one I have and you can get it at Amazon. LINK

Joe

Jackson T

Elite member
Another good free plans source is AeroFred. I designed a 4m wingspan balsa glider earlier this year, it might give you some ideas. It's large and has an aspect ratio of over 17, but I'm not so sure about the "really well designed" bit :p. Good luck with your designs!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Outerzone and Aerofred are indeed outstanding sites for free plans downloads. I've probably downloaded 100 or more plans from them. I'll be lucky if I ever finish 10 of them though.....

Joe