Best engine under 0.46cu i or 7.5CC displacement?

Nishanth

Which engine whose displacement is 0.46cu in or 7.5cc displacement provides the best thrust?

Or

what is the maximum thrust which I can achieve with a 7.5cc engine?

epiper93

Which engine whose displacement is 0.46cu in or 7.5cc displacement provides the best thrust?

Or

what is the maximum thrust which I can achieve with a 7.5cc engine?
Glad to see some glow questions on the forums. This is pretty widely an electric pilot's paradise but there are some of us who still love the smell of methanol in the morning! I have found in that size the best engine all around from thrust to reliability would be a super tigre G45 they have the power of an evolution 60. They're much lighter and extremely quiet but loads of power. There is no place to buy them from a distributor as of now but you can find piles of them brand new on Ebay. I have personally purchased 6 new ones on Ebay with no problems. There are 2 versions, there is the Chinese version which you can pick up brand new for about 65 bucks or the more rare Italian version, which will run you about $110 brand new. I personally dont see too much of a difference. The quality of the casting on the Italian version is a little better, however the Italian version takes much more time to break in. They are both ABC so you dont have to baby them quite as much during break in as a ringed engine. But try to avoid full throttle for more than 10 seconds, and run it a little rich for the first 3 tanks.

Nishanth

Thank You!
Glad to see some glow questions on the forums. This is pretty widely an electric pilot's paradise but there are some of us who still love the smell of methanol in the morning! I have found in that size the best engine all around from thrust to reliability would be a super tigre G45 they have the power of an evolution 60. They're much lighter and extremely quiet but loads of power. There is no place to buy them from a distributor as of now but you can find piles of them brand new on Ebay. I have personally purchased 6 new ones on Ebay with no problems. There are 2 versions, there is the Chinese version which you can pick up brand new for about 65 bucks or the more rare Italian version, which will run you about $110 brand new. I personally dont see too much of a difference. The quality of the casting on the Italian version is a little better, however the Italian version takes much more time to break in. They are both ABC so you dont have to baby them quite as much during break in as a ringed engine. But try to avoid full throttle for more than 10 seconds, and run it a little rich for the first 3 tanks.

epiper93

It depends what you're looking for. Do you want a normal engine for a 3D type plane or all-out tuned pipe type for pylon racing?
These are pretty potent:
http://www.novarossi.it/2012/index.php/en/products/plane-engines-rex/7-5-cc/r46f-pylon.html
Nova Rossi engines are the ish I find the idles a little finicky, their reliability is sub par as far as I'm concerned but they definitely get the R's. Have you looked at Westin engines at all? I've really wanted to try one and they will ship to the United States.

Bricks

Master member
What is your plan for the engine you are asking about? An OS 55AX is a hard engine to beat weights only 1 ounce more then a 45 with tons more power and reliability.

Edited missed you said under 46 then I would go with the OS 45AX. Reason you want to stay under 46.

epiper93

What is your plan for the engine you are asking about? An OS 55AX is a hard engine to beat weights only 1 ounce more then a 45 with tons more power and reliability.

Edited missed you said under 46 then I would go with the OS 45AX. Reason you want to stay under 46.
The engine he's speaking of is the 46AX by O.S. You'll notice the price is the same (at least it was a month ago when I ordered my 2nd 46AX) As the 55AX and that's because the 46 is more of a screaming engine, the 55 is a great engine for sport flying. The 46 gets more RPM. My 55 will swing 13x6. Not exactly gonna win any pattern contests with that prop. But would fly very scale. It would be productive if we knew what your goal was so we could suit you with at least our opinions of your best option.

Bricks

Master member
Depending on what he is using it for another engine is the Evolution 10CC gasser I have 5 of these and they are great engines and cheap to run. A little of a weight penalty but well worth it.

epiper93

Depending on what he is using it for another engine is the Evolution 10CC gasser I have 5 of these and they are great engines and cheap to run. A little of a weight penalty but well worth it.
I had a 10cc, I actually pre-ordered it as I was pretty excited about it. The original carburetor was horrendous. However the new pumped ones are much better. I no longer own mine, however another gentleman at the field I fly at has a couple and really likes his. My biggest thing was, it's the weight of a 60 sized glow, with the power of a 40, and an extra battery to baby and charge. Definitely cheaper to fly fuel wise though. I just don't get the performance. Especially the vertical performance with the 10cc gas is lacking. I have unlimited vertical with most all of my glow engines.

Bricks

Master member
With the 40 size planes I usually run a single Life battery takes care of both reeiver and ingnition. At my field we have around 15 planes with the 10CC Evolution if you pick the right platform they are great. The 40 size Twist will scream with the 10CC my 3D Reactor and my Great Planes 300 all have unlimited vertical, the right platform.

epiper93

With the 40 size planes I usually run a single Life battery takes care of both reeiver and ingnition. At my field we have around 15 planes with the 10CC Evolution if you pick the right platform they are great. The 40 size Twist will scream with the 10CC my 3D Reactor and my Great Planes 300 all have unlimited vertical, the right platform.
single life battery? that may have peaked my interest. please reply with the life battery you use along with how you have it wired up, im assuming you have a Y harness or you had just spliced the wires. definitely interested in seeing what youve got going, if you dont mind. may not be a bad idea for a scale project im working on.

Bricks

Master member
The Life batteries come with two servo plugs so no extra wiring needed, depending on plane and servos I will run a 700MAH for digital servos I will run1100. I have some 30CC planes I will run 2200`s.. Life batteries are 2S 6.6 volts some of the old servos and receivers will not take the 6.6 volts but you have to go way back. What is great about Life batteries is they do not drain from sitting like NIMA`s bad thing is when voltage drops it really crashes, not much for warning like NIHM`s so you do want to stay on top of them.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/life.html

epiper93

The Life batteries come with two servo plugs so no extra wiring needed, depending on plane and servos I will run a 700MAH for digital servos I will run1100. I have some 30CC planes I will run 2200`s.. Life batteries are 2S 6.6 volts some of the old servos and receivers will not take the 6.6 volts but you have to go way back. What is great about Life batteries is they do not drain from sitting like NIMA`s bad thing is when voltage drops it really crashes, not much for warning like NIHM`s so you do want to stay on top of them.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/life.html
So, I thought this was a novel idea. For Christmas I got a SIG Rascal 80, I put a Saito FG 11 (Gas) engine in the big bird to power it.Along with 5 digital servos. Gave it a shot with a 2000mah LiFe battery. Took it off,and the plane flew outstanding. After the third lap the ignition had began to break up (indicating low voltage.) I have full telemetry on my Futaba 18SZ and it clearly showed the voltage at a stunning 6.0V. I Landed it right away, the voltage came up to 6.11v but the ignition was still breaking up. I noticed anytime I moved ailerons, rudder or elevator, it pulled so much juice from the battery it almost worked as a carbeurator choke (almost shutting it off.) so I figured it was a faulty charge. After recharging, it did the same thing. So I took the battery up to my local hobby shop. Told them I felt that I didn’t have enough MaH to do what I was trying to do. They asked me what I was doing, explained. The owner (who I’ve known my entire life and has flown and built more airplanes than anyone on this forum)...essentially laughed in my face. He said “Next time, Call me instead of talking to people on the internet. You almost caused a very expensive crash. The LiFe Battery can’t handle the amp draw from both the servo input and the ignition at the same time no matter what MaH the battery is you will still have Noise coming from the ignition. Unless it’s a 120cc gas it’s not worth not having the extra switch. They make a special noise eliminating box for the ignitions on those bigger engines.” So according to him. Who’s opinion I value over anyone’s. Hopefully you don’t have any of those LiFe batteries in planes you care about. Because it’s an accident waiting to happen.