Best Firmware for Turnigy 9x

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I dont own a 9x, but the normal firmware should suit 99% of all the applications that you could wish for, id say dont flash it with some custom FW unless you absolutely need a feature from it.
the red backlight sounds cool, and quite handy if you are planing on night flying, you might want to ad a variable resistance so you can adjust the screen brightness.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Please keep us apprised of your findings. I do own the 9x, but haven't found a need to change the stock firmware, yet. The video looks interesting. Not sure if I like the menu set up compared to stock. Navigation does not seem as straight forward.

Red is the smart choice for the background display. I hadn't considered the color, but red is definitely the best for night vision.
Good luck with your upgrades!

UndCon

UndCon
I also have a 9X but it is heavily modified.

The main reason to add FRSKY DIY module is the advantage of telemetry for FPV use
With the new firmware the telemetry is in the display.
RSSI monitoring as well as voltage on board is vital when going for distances.

Some minor mods like LCD and beeper on/off and antenna connector is also done to enhance the features

//UndCon

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
For FPV use you can normally get all the telemetry info you need on your OSD. Hard to look at your TX while wearing FPV goggles or even while paying attention to a screen.

Idolcrasher

Thanks for the input gents,

You guys answered quickly. This seems like a very supportive forum.

From everything I have read online, the ER9x "unleashes the beast" inside the 9x. Flash it and Boom; you have a transmitter that should have cost $400+. I am excited to see if these claims are true.

I don't see any problems flashing this sucker. I am a systems engineer by trade (read: professional nerd). Changing the firmware on a "toy" transmitter ought to be child's play... //crosses fingers

I will post my findings pre and post firmware upgrade. I usually have a pretty good gauge of what a layman can do. I will let you know if this is really a job for the "Everyman" or not.

Wish me luck! Worst case scenario, I brick this sucker and end up buying the DX6i I should have bought all along ;)

-Crash

Last edited:

Johntra

From everything I have read online, the ER9x "unleashes the beast" inside the 9x. Flash it and Boom; you have a transmitter that should have cost $400+. I am excited to see if these claims are true.

I don't see any problems flashing this sucker. I am a systems engineer by trade (read: professional nerd). Changing the firmware on a "toy" transmitter ought to be child's play... //crosses fingers

I will post my findings pre and post firmware upgrade. I usually have a pretty good gauge of what a layman can do. I will let you know if this is really a job for the "Everyman" or not.

Wish me luck! Worst case scenario, I brick this sucker and end up buying the DX6i I should have bought all along ;)

-Crash

Hey Crash, you mind doing a step by step for us "laymen"? I plan on buying a used one off of RCGroups and plan on putting ER9x on it. Thanks.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Is there any TX that can read out selected (telemetry)data instead of just beeping or vibrating?

Is there any place to find a compare between different telemetry systems like Spektrum, Hitec, FrSky .....

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid

-Crash

cool, could you make a change log, at least for the new/extra features?
-A

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I've been thinking of doing the ER9x firmware update and just found out the ER9x bumps the model memory up to 16 from 8 as the original T9x firmware has.

Are most people who do the firmware update using the Turnigy 8ch. RX's or a module like the FrSky?

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
I think you need 2 RX if you use 16ch.

I have my fleet programmed by computer and it was a breeze.

I think most choose FRSKY as they deliver lots of features like telemetry and with the right mod you get this into your radio as well.

I have modified the antenna connector so now I can choose between stock frsky, 9db patch and 24db patch antenna :D

//UndCon