Best first EDF?

SSgt Duramax

Hi everyone. Something I have wanted to do for a while is dip my toe into EDF planes. I am a complete noob to EDFs, and as I have read around, they are quite different to fly as far as taking longer to get power spooled up, so you need to be intentional. I have rationed myself out of attempting to build one thus far by telling myself that they are inefficent, hard to handle, and for crazy folks.

I would prefer to scratchbuild, but I am not set on it. I see that there is the Viggen FT build as well. I don't care so much about looks as much as I do about it being forgiving of my inexperience with EDFS and to maximize time flying instead of repairing. I've seen a couple of straight wing
traineresque" looking EDFs across the interwebz and I found a few designs that looked like they may be worth considering, I was just wondering what you all though.

Maybe something like this with an airfoil instead of a flat wing?

http://www.rcplaneviews.com/index.php/scratch-built-foamies/93-fan-trainer

L Edge

Master member
How about a flat piece of foam made out of 6 cut parts, no landing gear, a cheap 64 mm EDF, and flies super slow. If this is not slow enough, I developed another one that goes slower(super stabile) that will let you fly up to 10 min in windy conditions. I used a stick stuck in the ground to get pilots attention on this design.

Here's the first video.

Slow enough for you?

quorneng

Master member
As I.Edge says you don't have to build a scale 'jet' to fly an EDF. It is only a thrust producing power plant after all. Yes it is a bit heavier and amp hungry for the same thrust as a prop so a light airframe with a generous wing area will handle the bigger battery and fly slower too.
Keep any ducting to the absolute minimum to allow the EDF to generate as much static or slow speed thrust as possible. Follow this sort of pattern and it should be easy to hand launch so no weight and drag from the undercarriage!
Like starting out on anything new to you keep is simple. Save the 'pretty' planes for later.

SSgt Duramax

How about a flat piece of foam made out of 6 cut parts, no landing gear, a cheap 64 mm EDF, and flies super slow. If this is not slow enough, I developed another one that goes slower(super stabile) that will let you fly up to 10 min in windy conditions. I used a stick stuck in the ground to get pilots attention on this design.

Here's the first video.

Slow enough for you?
Yeah. I like it. Simple is good. Cheap is good.

@quorneng I wasnt expecting to build an F16 or anything like that. Seems like it would be a ton of work to build back after i fly it right to the site of the crash!

Burnhard

Hi everyone. Something I have wanted to do for a while is dip my toe into EDF planes. I am a complete noob to EDFs, and as I have read around, they are quite different to fly as far as taking longer to get power spooled up, so you need to be intentional. I have rationed myself out of attempting to build one thus far by telling myself that they are inefficent, hard to handle, and for crazy folks.

I would prefer to scratchbuild, but I am not set on it. I see that there is the Viggen FT build as well. I don't care so much about looks as much as I do about it being forgiving of my inexperience with EDFS and to maximize time flying instead of repairing. I've seen a couple of straight wing
traineresque" looking EDFs across the interwebz and I found a few designs that looked like they may be worth considering, I was just wondering what you all though.

Maybe something like this with an airfoil instead of a flat wing?

http://www.rcplaneviews.com/index.php/scratch-built-foamies/93-fan-trainer
The FT Viggen is a great moddel to start with and very easy to build. It can go fast but it can also go reasonably slow. My runs on a 70mm EDF and has great power. I would suggest to include an FT Aura or some other flight stabilization for the start. Did the maiden of mine without and that worked as well but it was very touchy and has a crazy roll rate. With the Aura it can fly like one of these 50 bucks bind and fly beginner planes and you can gradually reduce the support from the Aura as you progress with your skills.

8F2F6736-9B90-449E-A62D-0C924F47064A.jpeg

SSgt Duramax

The grunjet and viggen are good, I would also recomment @Mid7night F16. I've build and flown all 3 and any one of them would be a good first EDF. All you need to remember is keep your speed up and don't lose perspective.
That A4 he has looks awesome too! @The Hangar that is the exact jet I was thinking of! I knew I had seen it somewhere.

I've seen the viggen too. I watched the build video for it actually. I wonder how long it would take me to get tired of rebuilding that pointy nose lol. That viggen in the pic looks great!

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Before you build your first model incorporating an Edf, not only should you ask what plane to start off going slow, but what other problems do you encounter in the journey.

For instance:
What size EDF-- determines what type you can build and the wing loading--determines speed. For instance, the Viggen with a 3s is okay, much better with a 4s, and acts like a jet with 6s.

How about ingestion of dirt, pebbles, wet grass loaded with condensation and other objects? Will wipe your blades out real fast. Hence--it's location,location of intake even if you have landing gear. So, when you order your EDF, better buy a couple of sets of blades.

Length of flight-- If you do throttle management, you will get 3'ish to 4 min. How about an abort(learning) where it takes full power to get altitude and about 45 seconds to come around and land on soil. Crash?

Try a real tight turn at high speed and see what happens? Model determines that.

So why don't you check with others to see what has happen to them. Got more comments if you want?

Interested in multi(how about SR-71?

Homey

Elite member
That A4 he has looks awesome too! @The Hangar that is the exact jet I was thinking of! I knew I had seen it somewhere.

I've seen the viggen too. I watched the build video for it actually. I wonder how long it would take me to get tired of rebuilding that pointy nose lol. That viggen in the pic looks great!
I've been flying mine with a witches nose for 2 years! It's not a fashion show! Lol

Peter

SSgt Duramax

Before you build your first model incorporating an Edf, not only should you ask what plane to start off going slow, but what other problems do you encounter in the journey.

For instance:
What size EDF-- determines what type you can build and the wing loading--determines speed. For instance, the Viggen with a 3s is okay, much better with a 4s, and acts like a jet with 6s.

How about ingestion of dirt, pebbles, wet grass loaded with condensation and other objects? Will wipe your blades out real fast. Hence--it's location,location of intake even if you have landing gear. So, when you order your EDF, better buy a couple of sets of blades.

Length of flight-- If you do throttle management, you will get 3'ish to 4 min. How about an abort(learning) where it takes full power to get altitude and about 45 seconds to come around and land on soil. Crash?

Try a real tight turn at high speed and see what happens? Model determines that.

So why don't you check with others to see what has happen to them. Got more comments if you want?

Interested in multi(how about SR-71?
The more info the better. I am always open to learn.

I think i am going to start with the grunjet. Inexpensive EDF on top with easy access and use that to learn.

Ive also been mentally aware when flying my other planes. When i have had to use throttle to power out of a mistake or stupidity i make a mental note that would have been a crash or a struggle in an edf.

L Edge

Master member
The more info the better. I am always open to learn.

I think i am going to start with the grunjet. Inexpensive EDF on top with easy access and use that to learn.

Ive also been mentally aware when flying my other planes. When i have had to use throttle to power out of a mistake or stupidity i make a mental note that would have been a crash or a struggle in an edf.

Good, it is a nice simple platform. You should have no trouble.
Some additional points no matter what you do.

Make sure the ESC is in an airflow so it loses the heat.
Secondly, you need to get good batteries(enough extra C's) so they don't puff up.

Oh yeah, start watching discussions on size inlet needed leading to fan(choking it) and how much exit area I can reduce. Also, what's the max length of ducting on inlet and outlet ducts and what will blockage do? Videos always prove point in question.

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Good, it is a nice simple platform. You should have no trouble.
Some additional points no matter what you do.

Make sure the ESC is in an airflow so it loses the heat.
Secondly, you need to get good batteries(enough extra C's) so they don't puff up.

Oh yeah, start watching discussions on size inlet needed leading to fan(choking it) and how much exit area I can reduce. Also, what's the max length of ducting on inlet and outlet ducts and how will blockage. Videos always prove point in question.

Thanks! Will do. I may try your design too. I learned the C rating one the hard way. I stuck one of my zippy 1000 Mah batteries in my rustler since I was anxious to try it on 3S and I hadn't gotten my batteries yet. It was faster for about 30 seconds. That battery puffed up real nice.

I have been wrestling with optimizing flow in a system through tubes, but with fluid. My Audi probably has a 20 foot cooling loop for the intercoolers. It is a nightmare trying to optimize flow through it through long pipes.

L Edge

Master member
If you look at my video stuff on Utube, I do only designs that don't exist.
Take a look at the same 6 piece platform plane(real light) change to prop, put my stabilizer(same one for 10 min edf trainer that flys super slow) add gear and you have STOL.

Video shows it. Takes off real short and climbs out. Trees are about 125 ft tall, I am about max 200 ft from plane at high point, and I start to drop and then flare out (have you seen anything else that steep and you don't see stalling, do you? By the way, that was my maiden, so I am learning to use it. So I will put up my 10min EDF trainer that will go slower than anyone elses. I improved it.

How about a STOL EDF that anyone can fly? You came aboard in 2016. If you can use rudder stick and can do jury rigging a F-22, you should be able to fly it. If anyone is interested in the video, l will put it up.

Hoomi

Master member
My first EDF was the 64mm Freewing Stinger from Motion RC. Mine is the 3S version. I added the landing gear and an Admiral gyro. I now have over 50 flights on it, and it's just a fun, basic EDF. I have the timer on my Tx set for 2 min. 40 seconds on the 1600 mAh battery, and I'll typically have enough battery left at that to do an extra go-around or two if necessary. On that, once airborne, I usually reduce my throttle to about half, and she flies just fine at that level.

One very nice aspect about the 3S Stinger is that it's a decent, budget friendly EDF jet, so it doesn't tend to carry that additional learning-curve stress of, "OMG! IF I CRASH THIS THING, I'M OUT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!!!"

Marzipan

I bet the Fly-Cat or Fan-Jet from Minimum RC could be goid ones to cut your teeth on. AliE has had the best prices, 11.11 not withstanding.