Best first plane for a 12 year old wanting to learn.

The Fopster

Master member
I learnt on an FT Flyer, and I've never seen a better trainer. I also built the FT Tiny Trainer and simple cub - and the Flyer is in my opinion a far better first plane.

JClaude

Hi guys,
I hope that you're in good health.

My opinion is that the best FT Flyer to learn to fly, is the "Legacy" in mono-motor version. If I remember well, it looks like "Telemaster". In my club, many of our members learned with this plane. After, it's a good value for fun and strong weather conditions.

Also, I thing that for a jung guy, without knowing if he will continue in aeromodelling, it maybe better to take a look on the second hand market.

Regards from Belgium...

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I vote Tiny Trainer speed build kit.

You are going to crash and break the plane. May as well get used to modelling and building up front. Crashing a store bought can be much more difficult than crashing your own paper airplane. The TT comes with two wings. Not only do you get to advance as you learn but when you crash and destroy one, you still have the other wing.

Secondly the TT flies really well, very slowly and is very forgiving of build mistakes.

Finally, there is SOOO much support for the TT. There are probably 20 different versions of the TT plans so you can continue to learn on a familiar airframe.

The FT flyer is a great plane, but I would learn to fly by throwing it for launch and worry about learning to rotate off the runway later. IMO gear adds to the complexity of learning to fly so I would save gear landings and launches for later.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I vote Tiny Trainer speed build kit.

You are going to crash and break the plane. May as well get used to modelling and building up front. Crashing a store bought can be much more difficult than crashing your own paper airplane. The TT comes with two wings. Not only do you get to advance as you learn but when you crash and destroy one, you still have the other wing.

Secondly the TT flies really well, very slowly and is very forgiving of build mistakes.

Finally, there is SOOO much support for the TT. There are probably 20 different versions of the TT plans so you can continue to learn on a familiar airframe.

The FT flyer is a great plane, but I would learn to fly by throwing it for launch and worry about learning to rotate off the runway later.
I would add the mod for a pusher motor so you do not break your prop.

luke k

alsa there is a company called minimum rc and i just bought there rare bear, and they are coming out with jets. there stuff is cheap to.

dap35

Elite member
The Aeroscout RTF will by far be the easiest to fly because of all the technology that horizon hobby has put into. If you can afford it, go for it - it’ll be the best option. However if you want to build a plane, go with @Grifflyer ‘s suggestion of the ft simple scout. I’ve trained people on it and it’s an easy plane to fly.
The AeroScout is a great plane. It was my first plane to (re)start my RC adventure. I also have a mini-scout with the FT Aura 5 that makes it easy to fly. However, it took some doing to fit it in, so you might look at the Simple Scout + Aura 5 as a more spacious option.

moke

all what they said. If he wants build experience the mini or simple scout is easy build and easy fly. Saw umx timber maiden at field today. That has SAFE technology and comes with receiver, motor etc all installed and ready to fly.