Best First Scratch Build

Mhesche

Hello, I have been flying 3 channel RC for around 5 months. I am, however, new to scratch building. I bought the FT power pack A a while ago and I would like to use it. I am not the best at building so i'm considering building the FT flyer but I don't know if it would have enough power. Any other first build ideas? Tips for Tracing/building? Thanks.
Edit: Im also running a DX4e with a 4 channel spektrum receiver and a 3c 850mah battery

Arcfyre

Elite member
Hello, I have been flying 3 channel RC for around 5 months. I am, however, new to scratch building. I bought the FT power pack A a while ago and I would like to use it. I am not the best at building so i'm considering building the FT flyer but I don't know if it would have enough power. Any other first build ideas? Tips for Tracing/building? Thanks.
Edit: Im also running a DX4e with a 4 channel spektrum receiver and a 3c 850mah battery

Try a simple soarer. It's an easy scratch build, flies great, and doesnt need much power.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hello and welcome. I haven't been here long myself, so I can't directly answer your questions. I can, however point you to some resources:

Go to flitetest.com. Click on Store. Click on the foamboard airplane in the lower left that says "Airplanes". On the next page, click on the foamboard airplane in the lower left that says "DIY Airplanes". On the next page click on any model and scroll down a bit and you'll see a link for "Resources". Click on it. Towards the bottom of the available resources will be a link to a pdf called "PowerPack Chart Compatibility". That chart will show you all the planes the PowerPack A is compatible with.

From what I've seen and read, the Tiny Trainer and the Mini Scout seem like good choices. I bought the SpeedBuild kit for the TT and built it, and am currently on my first scratch build, the Mini Scout.

As far as tips for the scratch building process go, if you Google search "FliteTest scratch build" or Google search "Youtube FliteTest scratch build" you will find pretty much everything you need to know. Also, in the "Articles" section of this forum you will find a plethora of information, but I like the Google method because it finds those as well.

For printing information, one of our Active Members, donalson pointed me to this link:

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/printing-flite-test-plans

That article was written by SPONZ who seems to layabout and do nothing... for maybe five minutes a day. The rest of his free time seems completely devoted to making FT plans that we can print and make planes from. You'll want to find Sponz's plan index once you pick your plane, and use his latest version.

For someone who is unable to answer your questions, I know I wrote a word wall, but I'm on my first scratch build myself and all this is fresh in memory.

Lastly, start a Build Thread. Throw up pictures and video and share how it's going and ask more questions. I have yet to fly my first plane, and I am totally enjoying this hobby. I think you'll find scratch building to be as rewarding as I've found it, and I'm still just cutting out plans. Here's my Build Thread for the scratch build:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/first-scratch-build.55846/

I hope all that was some help. Again, welcome to our community.

Mhesche

Hello and welcome. I haven't been here long myself, so I can't directly answer your questions. I can, however point you to some resources:

Go to flitetest.com. Click on Store. Click on the foamboard airplane in the lower left that says "Airplanes". On the next page, click on the foamboard airplane in the lower left that says "DIY Airplanes". On the next page click on any model and scroll down a bit and you'll see a link for "Resources". Click on it. Towards the bottom of the available resources will be a link to a pdf called "PowerPack Chart Compatibility". That chart will show you all the planes the PowerPack A is compatible with.

From what I've seen and read, the Tiny Trainer and the Mini Scout seem like good choices. I bought the SpeedBuild kit for the TT and built it, and am currently on my first scratch build, the Mini Scout.

As far as tips for the scratch building process go, if you Google search "FliteTest scratch build" or Google search "Youtube FliteTest scratch build" you will find pretty much everything you need to know. Also, in the "Articles" section of this forum you will find a plethora of information, but I like the Google method because it finds those as well.

For printing information, one of our Active Members, donalson pointed me to this link:

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/printing-flite-test-plans

That article was written by SPONZ who seems to layabout and do nothing... for maybe five minutes a day. The rest of his free time seems completely devoted to making FT plans that we can print and make planes from. You'll want to find Sponz's plan index once you pick your plane, and use his latest version.

For someone who is unable to answer your questions, I know I wrote a word wall, but I'm on my first scratch build myself and all this is fresh in memory.

Lastly, start a Build Thread. Throw up pictures and video and share how it's going and ask more questions. I have yet to fly my first plane, and I am totally enjoying this hobby. I think you'll find scratch building to be as rewarding as I've found it, and I'm still just cutting out plans. Here's my Build Thread for the scratch build:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/first-scratch-build.55846/

I hope all that was some help. Again, welcome to our community.

Thank you so much, I enjoy this hobby and I'm excited to get the joy of flying something I created!