Best flight controller for 250 quad w/ alt hold???

Matt24683579

Hey everyone!

Need some advice on the best fc to use for my 250 quadcopter. I'm using a turnigy 9x with frsky xjt only, no other mods, stock firmware.

I've been wanting to move away from the SPRacing f3 boards for some reason, I've broken 3 of them and have tried the acro, then deluxe, then evo, imo the evo sucked the most. I'm looking For a new flight controller with an F3 or f4 board and preferably a barometer so I can use alt hold. My experience with the sp racing deluxe was the best and I'm not sure why. I think it has to do with 10dof not 6dof? either way I am going to be buying from Amazon because I'm impatient, but does anyone have any good flight controllers to recommend and what are some differences to look for that will make my flying experience better?

Also do most f4 boards have a barometer because I can't find many f4 with baro listed as a feature.

Thanks in advance guys. :)
-Matt

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
My Omnibus F4 Pro has a baro, but in older firmwares I recall it surged the throttle. I haven't used it in a long time.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have added a baro to several boards in the past via the I2C bus. You really need to start with what firmware you want to use that has good altitude hold functionality. Then look at the flight controllers that firmware runs on. I'm biased tword dRonin right now for 95% of my flying, and I would recommend the AirDTF Seppuku FC https://www.airdtf.com/shop/seppuku. Need to know what you are trying to accomplish with altitude hold. Altitude hold in fast forward flight would be tricky. Just hovering is much simpler.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Guess my other question should be, were your previous boards bought directly from SeriouslyPro.com or some other vendor. There are a lot of clone "SPR" boards that tend to be problematic. I have a "Genuine" SPRacing F3 Evo that works fine. Have run Cleanflight (the original), BetaFlight, iNav, and currently am running dRonin on it. I had one other "Genuine" SPRacing F3 Evo that worked flawless too. Right up to the point where I managed to hook it up backwards anyway. And that is on me.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Matt24683579

lol thanks guys. that's a good point tho. I would like to be able to hover and take my hands off the stick for a sec to do whatever without landing. I also like a controller that is reliable. I have been buying the cheap parts from Amazon so they might not be real. I have had a couple ports break on mine.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you are talking about the plastic plug in UART ports, I absolutely HATE those things. I always try to buy and use FCs that have good solder tabs or through holes. If the board has both solder and plugs, I will use solder over the plugs every time.

FYI, As a proof of concept and firmware beta testing this past winter, I took an RCExplorer F3FC Racing FC, added an I2C Barometer, I2C Compass, and a Serial GPS and was able to get all working with BetaFlight, Triflight0.7Beta2 and dRonin(Tricopter special fork) Firmware. Will be playing more with this in the future.
F3FCgpsPOC2.jpg
F3FCgpsPOC.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: