Best Flight Controllers for Falconry

Longwinger

In falconry we use multirotors for exercise and training. I built a FliteTest Electrohub long ago and its been a long time since I've built my quad. It has been disassembled for a long while. I used a naze32 board as a controller. I do love flying manual, or only with basic stabilization, but I plan to use my multirotor for falconry, so I need it to be able to do altitude hold and GPS hold. I also need to have more power, but I'll address that soon.
What is the current bang for the buck controller that supports both manual modes and GPS Hold/Altitude Hold?

Attachments

• 74624150_10221454616061326_512244243834601472_o.jpg
    74624150_10221454616061326_512244243834601472_o.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IM002442.JPG
    IM002442.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
The Matek F405 with INav or Betaflight and an added GPS module will do what you need. Generally F4 boards are the “norm” now, F7 is good if you want more UARTs and processing power. Matek have very good documentatio.

Longwinger

Boy its been a long time since I've done all this. I have an electro hub with the underslung camera/battery tray. I need this thing to carry a lure with parachute deployment system and I need an FC with no altitude limit for a couple reasons. Does this Matek F405 have an alt limit?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Boy its been a long time since I've done all this. I have an electro hub with the underslung camera/battery tray. I need this thing to carry a lure with parachute deployment system and I need an FC with no altitude limit for a couple reasons. Does this Matek F405 have an alt limit?

All of that is in the firmware. If you require GPS assisted flight modes like atitude/position hold, I'd look into iNav or Arducopter, and see which flight controllers they support.

Longwinger

All of that is in the firmware. If you require GPS assisted flight modes like atitude/position hold, I'd look into iNav or Arducopter, and see which flight controllers they support.

See that's the thing, I love flying on manual personally, but when it comes to falconry its just not realistic, because I need to set it to an altitude and position and just let it go, so I can prep the bird and put it up, and monitor it as it approaches the release mechanism, then once the bird has the lure, I need to be able to set it to land, and let it land itself. I really don't want to buy a phantom or anything like that when I have the ability to build my own.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You can set up waypoint missions with auto landings in Arducopter for sure, and most probably iNav as well.