Best Flitetest plane to learn on

stew64

I have been experimenting with several planes to find the best one to learn on. I have built the simple cub, the bushwhacker, the explorer and the storch from speed build kits and a sportster from scratch. the bushwhacker and storch flew the best. My question is what one of the planes has the best flight characteristics. I seem to crash a lot and need something that will last and be a good flyer. Any ideas would be great.

OliverW

Legendary member
I have been experimenting with several planes to find the best one to learn on. I have built the simple cub, the bushwhacker, the explorer and the storch from speed build kits and a sportster from scratch. the bushwhacker and storch flew the best. My question is what one of the planes has the best flight characteristics. I seem to crash a lot and need something that will last and be a good flyer. Any ideas would be great.
@The Hangar designed the simple stick which I think is the easiest foamboard plane to fly!

K3V0

Elite member
I love flying both my storch and bushwhacker! The storch’s characteristics made it a better trainer for me. I felt like I could fly slower and play with the different controls better. I actually just got back from flying it about an hour ago! It’s my second one and I’m using the leading edge slats and flaperons I like my bushwacker a lot but I’ve often compared it to flying my wrangler off the top of a parking garage. It’s great fun with flaps and has been a good trainer for that. I’m still on my first one so I consider that a win! Though the LG has been replaced and reinforced few times. They’re both regular planes in my active hanger and I’ll replace them as needed.

The Fopster

Master member
Best plane for absolute beginners that I've come across is the FT Flyer - a golden oldie nowadays! It won't teach ailerons, but to build muscle memory and reactions (for example being comfortable flying towards yourself) it's bombproof. I think then something like a Storch is a great second plane. I've tried the Simple Cub and I think it's harder to fly than my Master Series P47! For some reason I just can't get on with the Cub...
🤔

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I agree with @SquirrelTail. The simple stick is by far the best foamboard plane I have ever flown. It's slow, it's fast, it's stable and aerobatic. It's all of these at once, so you can grow with it as you become a better pilot!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Best plane for absolute beginners that I've come across is the FT Flyer - a golden oldie nowadays! It won't teach ailerons, but to build muscle memory and reactions (for example being comfortable flying towards yourself) it's bombproof. I think then something like a Storch is a great second plane. I've tried the Simple Cub and I think it's harder to fly than my Master Series P47! For some reason I just can't get on with the Cub...
🤔
The cub is definitely an interesting bird. Once you get the hang of it it is really fun to fly though - especially if you add flaps like I did!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am a fan of the simple scout. Has so much potential in one plane. Stock it is as docile bird which is sime to build. And it can be modified to the point you can have anything from 3D to sport to a speed pattern racer. Such a versitile model, built 4 different versions of it. It was my first

Rhaps

Elite member
As a fellow crasher I would say Storch, Scout, Stick and Mini Scout
- Storch is docile, surprisingly sturdy and easy to keep orientation due to it's size. Also tolerates wind fairly well. Only plane that has lasted with me for almost a year now (with lots of repairs but still)
- Simple Scout is more sporty than Storch, good looking (imho and ymmv) and nice size. It is really fun to fly.
- Hangars Stick is kind of interchangeable with Scout. Scout wins in looks (again imho and ymmv) but Stick has removable wing
- Mini scout is fun and tough. No ailerons in stock but still good and is easiest to transport and rebuild :). Doesn't like wind though.

Also many seem to like Tiny trainer but I havent built one so far so I can't say anything.
Simple Cub is great build and also looks really nice but personally I haven't had very good experiences flying with it. But again many do like it so .. uh..dunno..

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have flown a few Tiny Trainers (and crashed them into needing to be rebuild - at least new fuselages - see my signature). Looking at the simple Stick pictures, it looks similar in ratios (but bigger) to the Tiny Trainer - however it looks like the simple stick has a straight wing and the Tiny Trainer has a wing with dihedral or polyhedral (depending on which wing you build).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have flown a few Tiny Trainers (and crashed them into needing to be rebuild - at least new fuselages - see my signature). Looking at the simple Stick pictures, it looks similar in ratios (but bigger) to the Tiny Trainer - however it looks like the simple stick has a straight wing and the Tiny Trainer has a wing with dihedral or polyhedral (depending on which wing you build).
You could easily add dihedral to the simple stick. I actually built one with dihedral for a beginner pilot and it flew great!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
You could easily add dihedral to the simple stick. I actually built one with dihedral for a beginner pilot and it flew great!
I figured as much, I was just pointing out what I saw the differences to be between the two. I might end up scaling down the simple stick to run with my Power Powerpack A if/when this Tiny Trainer needs to be rebuilt/replaced.