Best Flying Wing

Hey Everyone,
I've been looking for a while for the best flying wing for a good price. I was leaning towards the Teksumo, but its battery compartment and servos are on the bottom. I also am looking at the Tuffwing. Any other suggestions? I DON'T like flying with rudders, so that is why I am leaning towards a flying wing. Also I know the Flitetest flying wing is great, but I'm not sure if it would be too much work for me.
Thanks

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Is it best flying or best crashing wings you are looking for?
The old Zagi wings are great for fun but if you want good flying wings you should take a look at the german Hai-series of wings.
There are versions from small (40") up to quite large (200").
I think that the Shark wings are brittish - also good flying.

iCrash

The first plane I flew well and didn't care about crashing was the Assassin from Crash Test Hobby. They are almost indestructible. I've had mine hit full throttle straight into the ground, bounce quite a distance. I adjusted the prop back onto the prop saver and tossed it back into the air and kept flying.

2 weeks ago a new pilot out at our field went full throttle straight into a bush. He had to have been going 60-70mph. He only broke a prop.

They are awesome wings! Good luck no matter what you choose.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Fighterpilot777- I guess it really depends on what kind of flying you intend to do. The Assassin is my favorite flying wing and most days is my favorite airplane (I'm fickle, this changes from day to day). The Assassin is a great flyer and is a good choice to transition into wings. Check out some of the videos at the crash test hobby site. If it looks like this kind of flying is what you are after I think you will well served. If you plan on trying combat (plane to plane, plane to ground, plane to tree, plane to building) this is the plane for you.

SteveRoby

my vote is....
Teksumo/popwing 900
Its very cheap from hobbyking
Very easy & quick build, much easier build than the Assasin (I have 1 of those still not finished)
Flys great, still havnt broken mine. No 100% crashproof, but easy to make 90% crashproof
Flys fast or very slow, great in the wind, prepainted & carbon allready glued in.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
@SteveRoby- CTH Grim Reaper was my first flying wing and I have built several Assassins. If you are having problems with the build I'd be more that happy to help you with any questions you might have. Hopefully you are aware of and have checked out the RC Groups thread dedicated to the Assassin. Lots of good guys on there willing to share their experience.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052384

WarbirdFan66

not that easy...

....I've been looking for a while for the best flying wing for a good price...

Hi, it might sound a bit stupid but are you looking for exactly - acrobatics skills, easy to fly, slope or thermal characteristics, fast or slow flying, highly maneuverable or not, long flight times or huge bearing load, cheap or good value - you might get a lot of good advice from all the guys here but also maybe for a lot of different type of wings, all fantastic in there own way u know...im sure a few more detail will help the guys here to find the right wing for you...cheers :)

lonewolf7717

Hey Everyone,
I've been looking for a while for the best flying wing for a good price. I was leaning towards the Teksumo, but its battery compartment and servos are on the bottom. I also am looking at the Tuffwing. Any other suggestions? I DON'T like flying with rudders, so that is why I am leaning towards a flying wing. Also I know the Flitetest flying wing is great, but I'm not sure if it would be too much work for me.
Thanks
Shoot man! 95% of those with rudders don't actually fly with them. <------it's a joke, see what I did there?

JohnC

Hi, it might sound a bit stupid but are you looking for exactly - acrobatics skills, easy to fly, slope or thermal characteristics, fast or slow flying, highly maneuverable or not, long flight times or huge bearing load, cheap or good value - you might get a lot of good advice from all the guys here but also maybe for a lot of different type of wings, all fantastic in there own way u know...im sure a few more detail will help the guys here to find the right wing for you...cheers :)

Right On.

'Best' and 'Good' just words. You need more words to understand what is out there.

I was looking EXACTLY for a RC Aircraft Platform that I could use to improve my skills without spending all my time and money either repairing or replacing models. I watched some expert slope soaring combat veterans and they recommended the Zagi (that was a year ago).

I finally bought one and built it.

It's both harder to fly and easier to fly than I expected. It's sensitive (maybe all wings are sensitive). So it's easy (for me) to crash, but the main thing is I can fly in high wind (which is common in my closest flying location). It's faster than I'm comfortable with (at this stage of my development) . . . but that does help me get quicker.

I can make mistakes and if I happen to hit a rock on the ground with the propeller then, the Zagi comes with a spare, so no problem - but I now need a spare for my spare . . . hmm.

Ewhitt

Question for you all...?????

I'm looking at purchasing an Assasin from Crash Test.
I have had horrible luck keeping Flite Test planes in one piece, so I'm looking to get something that can take a hit. So... I have a "power pack B" and a "power pack F" from flight test. Would either of these work for the Assasin?
I'm pretty new to the hobby, I went to Flite Fest East 2017, and I got excited and bought a spektrum DX6. AND I have successfully DESTROYED 2 Flite Test scratch build planes.

Thanks

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I build my own flying wings to many designs including some that are extremely Retro.

My go to for those wishing to learn is the KFM4 wing the design of which can be found in the articles section.

It just uses 3 layers of FB glued together, (CF spar can be fitted but the FB can survive without it). I just put a line of cloth tape along the Leading Edge. I have fitted 100W to 200Watt motors and they always fly very well and are so predictable. Using 200W it can climb vertical out of sight if required.

The design is not too good at tight loops, (I think the weight kill that a bit), but it can roll sharp, rapid and always controllable. If you can glue FB together and cut FB to shape then consider building a KFM4 flying wing.

have fun!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hey Ewhitt, welcome to the FT Forums and I hope you had a great time at FFE2017! I know I enjoyed being there. So, you may hear this from others too, but what were the other two planes you started on? Did you try starting with a high wing trainer like the Simple Cub? Did you get a chance to try a buddy box training session?

I would suggest that flying wings make for a really tough introduction to RC fixed wing, because they are so pitch sensitive and have no self-correcting tendencies unless you pair it with a flight controller that can do that for you.

Have you had much simulator time on a computer to try out a flying wing? There are some great free and paid RC simulator programs out there, and one in particular, RCDesktop has FT models made by a forum member.

Owlask

Hi Ewhitt,

I would think the B pack would work on the Assassin (but I would ask on the RCGroups Assassin thread before you buy, Emax CF2822 1200kv motor vs 2812-1534KV seems close with my tiny bit of research). I just built a Scythe with the Emax MT2204 and a 3s 800mah battery and it works great (its my 3rd plane). I did use a bigger ESC than the 12amp though I don't know that I needed to (It has a 5x4x3 prop). I had some trouble with the 12amp ESC and 3s batteries on the SE5 and TinyTrainer.

I just jumped into this hobby this spring with the SE5 biplane and while I didn't completely destroy it it was a rough way to start. There was a lot of hot glue holding it together when I retired it, and I had lots of short flights ending in crashes. I then built a tiny trainer with a rs2205 motor. On 2s, 800mah battery, and the 3 channel-poly wing setup it was a joy to fly. I have only flown it once with the 4-channel wing and 3s and it was nerve wracking. Maybe it was just too windy but had trouble keeping it in control. I feel like the Scythe is the perfect middle ground between the two tiny trainer set-ups.

If you didn't destroy a tiny trainer give it a look, though I love the way the EPP wing bounces. I wish Flite Test would explore EPP scratch building. I would love to make a EPP Super Bee for my next plane once I get more experience.

Pack F on the Scythe can go slow to fast.

I have spent a lot of time on picasim on my phone to try to hone my reactions a little. I think that has helped.

Ewhitt

Makattack

I started on a FT Versa, and I actually had some pretty good fly time with it. After lots of glue and tape and pizza box repairs, it became impossible to keep in the air. I thought I would get something a little slower, so I bought a FT speedster, which I didn't have a ton of luck with. It didn't last long. SO I figured because I feel like I was close to being succeful at the Versa, I wanted to get something like it. Also something that had the durability. Researching, I found the assasin.
I have not spent any time with a simulator... maybe that's an even better place to start. And cheaper too. Haha