Best foam board

Pilot_35

This might be a dumb question. But I did read the article on the Adam rediboard at dollar tree and flipside and elmers foamboard. Is everyone still using adams foam board or what are you guys using? I had some rediboard for dollar tree however it did seem kinda of brittle. I don't want to get flite test foam board because it is harder to paint, you can't put lights in it, and it is a little more expensive then the adams. I know what Wal-Mart sells foam board but I don't know what brand it is.
Thanks

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry, adam' is the ONLY stuff i use other than the FT brown that comes in kits. the emlers is to heavy, the rediboard to stiff, and neither cut worth a darn.

my $.02,

me :cool:

Pilot_35

sorry, adam' is the ONLY stuff i use other than the FT brown that comes in kits. the emlers is to heavy, the rediboard to stiff, and neither cut worth a darn.

my $.02,

me :cool:

Is rediboard adams? At my dollar tree they have the rediboard and I though that was adams. I think the rediboard was all they had.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry, i was think of another brand that is like the elmers.

yes, it is Adam's Rediboard from the $1 store.

Ken Myers

Elmer's is too heavy, but Ross foam board from Walmart is only a little heavier than the Adam's Readi-Board and sells in my area of southeastern Michigan for $0.88 a sheet, nominally 20" x 30", like Adam's.

Pilot_35

Elmer's is too heavy, but Ross foam board from Walmart is only a little heavier than the Adam's Readi-Board and sells in my area of southeastern Michigan for $0.88 a sheet, nominally 20" x 30", like Adam's.

So do you like the Ross over the adams?

Ken Myers

I can't say that I do or don't. I've only built one airframe out of the Ross and done some experiments with it. It has a different feel and texture. I talked about it as it is another possible foam board to use if Adam's Readi-Board is not available to someone.
On average Adam's Readi-Board weighs about 0.19g per square inch and Ross about 0.22g per sq.in.

There is at least one thread here about Ross foam board. That is where I learned about it.

Javiester

Elite member
Hello
in Spain we call it cardboard-pen (carton-pluma)
I buy it in what we call large stores of all € 1 or Chinese, I buy them at € 2.50 in size din A2, for larger sizes you have to go to specialized stores
there is black and white
the black is heavier and the white is easy to remove the cardboard that is a little thick, and I use the glue of the photo that is much lighter than the thermoplastic

IMG_20180731_195539.jpg

Winglet

I build nearly 100% with Ross Foam board only available at selected Walmarts. It CAN be hard to find. You can check your local stores by calling them and giving them the SKU#. They can probably let you know what stores in your area currently have it in stock. When I find it I usually buy 20 or more sheets at a time. SKU 4450661

I find it the easiest to work with and very paintable. I like the finish on it too.

Last edited:

Keno

Interesting discussion here. I have tried all three mentioned. If you want water resistant to go with the FT Adams brown foam board its great if you are in a high humidity area, or wish to fly off water. Ross foam board I have heard is a Elmer's answer to Adams white board, not sure about that correct me if l am wrong. I personably am sticking with Adams white board. My own opinion, Ross board is more brittle than Adams (DT) board and a bit heavier. I have in inventory some brown board and willing to give it anybody as long as it dose not cost me anything. I reside in very low humidity area so I really have no need for the brown board. It is a great product for some but maybe not for others.

BryonN

I've been getting the stuff from the dollar tree, and having issues with delaminating between the paper & foam. Has anybody else had this issue? I live in Florida so humidity might be the issue.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've been getting the stuff from the dollar tree, and having issues with delaminating between the paper & foam. Has anybody else had this issue? I live in Florida so humidity might be the issue.

Yes, any brand of foam board that I've used will delaminate if you don't protect it. For 3 months, IL can be just has humid as FL.

Hot glue the hinge & smooth it out like they show in the FT build videos. A hot covering iron works great to spread the glue. You can clean the glue from your iron with a paper towel. Then put packing tape down the glue line and run the covering iron over it to reheat the glue and bond with the tape. I've never had this type of hinge fail. I don't like to paint so most of my planes are covered with colored packing tape, its fast, easy, looks good, works great, seals out moisture & easy to repair. If I were going to paint, I'd use some kind of paper tape instead of packing tape.

I use either Ross or Adams, both work equally well for me. Its just a matter of what's on hand. If you do want to take the paper off, Adams will come off slightly better.

Keno

Try this it works for me for a protective coating. It is a Krylon product that does not attack foam and does not cause paper to blister (separation of the paper and foam) This may help those who live in high humidity areas.
Krylon K03800000 Glitter Blast, Clear Sealer.
The one thing I would suggest; Wipe off paint runs before they dry.
It is available at Lowes 11 oz spray cans. I like the clear finish that it offers also.