best FPV setup on budget for a FT gremlin?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I usually just take some of the foam from one of the Emax motor cases and custom cut it to suit the camera. Here is the mock up of what I was using when I had a Runcam mini mounted. I will cut a little deeper and a little lower to mount the micro on this one. Then all I do is run a piece of double sided tape on the back side of the camera to pad it on the upper plate and then wrap thin strip of Velcro around the upper part of the camera around behind the front posts to keep it tight against the upper plate. The VTX will mount on the top part of the upper plate as the receiver is mounted to the under side of the upper plate.

I may have to cut a new piece of foam as there is not much side stability on the existing one.

CF 5.jpg

CF 6.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So far neither of the micros I have got has a bracket not to mention them metal ones are horrible for vibration. The foam monts also offer a ton more camera protection.

jridge16

...If there is OSD then I will run the camera to the pdb osd. If not I just feed the camera off the VTX.....

What's OSD? Is that On Screen Display? Showing telemetry (like in PsyBorg's video of flight time and battery voltage)?

If so, I don't understand how that's implemented. Is it a feature of the Flight Controller? Does the E-max F3 Femto FC have that capability? Is it a feature of the VTX?

Basic question is, what special hardware do I need to get the data that I see in PsyBorg Gremlin flight videos?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you mean my Gremlin that is the built in OSD in the runcam swift2 micro. If you mean in Taz then that was from the Matek pdb. As far as I know only certain betaflight flight controllers have built in osd at this point in time. There could be others I am not familiar with though so don't quote that.

NewLn

I'm gonna jump on this thread, I'm was considering getting the micro swift and vtx combo but I don't think it will fit on the Alex gremlin frame. Has anyone tried out the new run cam nano? it looks perfect for the gremlin and then I can just mount the vtx at the back of the frame because right now my receiver is on top of my flight controller and the back is empty. Let me know what you guys think. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
CMOS and no adjustable settings. Ill pass..... He even states that WDR is not so good as well as bad contrast when flying higher above ground where the ground gets washed out. Ill stick to CCD cameras until the cmos have full function abilities that are user changeable and a simple osd gets integrated. I can fly directly at the sun then dive under trees or even go into the foyer of my building with no discernible changes in the transition from super bright to pretty darn dark.

Bricks

Master member
One of the problems with all of these suggestions is being new you never know for sure what is going to work for you. Fpv goggles like Fatsharks do not work for me and my eyes. Frsky and open transmitter being I am not techy never could get the hang of it download Companion and play with that to find out if that platform will work for you. One of the best things if there is a flying field near you is get out there talk to the guys flying FPV most will let you look and maybe ride along to try different setups.

What is your frustration level mine can be pretty short, I went with the Eachine Wizard 220 racing drone https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Wi...-1085802.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN for my first quad basically plug and play got me in the air quick and then I could go in the GUI either Betaflight or Cleanflight and play around with PID settings and such.

It is definantly a lot to learn and the more you know ahead of time makes it easier to make the right purchases for you situation.