Best FT planes for beginner pilots, that are -not- the Tiny Trainer

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Amazing martial arts skills, just don't leave your pizza un-attended or they will have it !
1643742264307.png

ThatPolishHotdog

Hi, I'm curious to learn about some FT plans/planes that happen to be really stable and slow platforms that a person could learn to fly on, but that are not the Tiny Trainer. I'm looking for suggestions for 3-channel and 4-channel, but planes that look more like proper planes... that just happen to have excellent flight characteristics for new pilots.

I'm planning on trying to get my wife into the hobby. A gentle plane that looks like a plane would go a long way towards that. Building skill is not a concern; just her flying skill.

All suggestions are welcome!

Spitfire :)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
My vote is the Old Fogey and the Spitfire for beginner planes. one is 3ch, the 2nd 4 ch.

bigdano711

Oh yeah. Some nice ideas on how we can upgrade our DR1. It is currently in need of some minor repairs from a couple of hard landings. Also, the power pod is a little loose--need to remove the cowling and re-seat or fortify. Any suggestions on a torn elevator? We used packing tape for a field repair, but I'm not sure how long that will last.
I used a model paint brush and denatured alcohol to remove my skids that were glued to the side of the fuse. I say paint some denatured alcohol onto the glue joints and take the whole tail section off and replace. Or just cut the elevator off and tape on a new one....

To firm up the power pod, I put a little glue in each hole, poked a skewer in and rotated as it dried. Worked pretty good, but the front is already getting loose again...

checkerboardflyer

Flite Test just introduced the FT Tenet. It offers 2 different motor mount options, 3 different wings, and 2 different tails. One combination is the trainer wing with the pusher motor which is perfect for a beginner; motor is in a safe place for any rough landings. The great thing about this kit is that after you spend some time on the trainer combo, you can put the motor in front, switch to the sport wing, and take the next step up in your flying skills. And after that there's the speed wing! All in the same kit. Below is the Tenet intro video. More tips for foam board RC modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

Taildragger

Legendary member
Flite Test just introduced the FT Tenet. It offers 2 different motor mount options, 3 different wings, and 2 different tails. One combination is the trainer wing with the pusher motor which is perfect for a beginner; motor is in a safe place for any rough landings. The great thing is that after you spend some time on the trainer combo, you can put the motor in front, switch to the sport wing, and take the next step up in your flying skills. And after that there's the speed wing! All in the same kit. Below is the Tenet intro video. More tips for foam board RC modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

this one shows promise.

checkerboardflyer

Tip For Placing Skewers Through Foam
The fuselage on the FT Tenet is nearly 2” thick and at some point you need to insert 2 BBQ skewers for the rubber bands. The question is, how to place them such that they are square to the fuselage and evenly spaced? I made a poster board template with holes punched where I wanted the skewers to go. Then laid the template on the top fuselage section on a drill press. Now put a short skewer in the chuck and press down. Go about half way, then flip it over and do the same thing on the other side. Worked great. More tips on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• 1-drill press bbq skewers .jpeg
    1-drill press bbq skewers .jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-drill press bbq skewers.jpeg
    2-drill press bbq skewers.jpeg
    853.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-drill press bbq skewers.jpeg
    3-drill press bbq skewers.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Tip For Placing Skewers Through Foam
The fuselage on the FT Tenet is nearly 2” thick and at some point you need to insert 2 BBQ skewers for the rubber bands. The question is, how to place them such that they are square to the fuselage and evenly spaced? I made a poster board template with holes punched where I wanted the skewers to go. Then laid the template on the top fuselage section on a drill press. Now put a short skewer in the chuck and press down. Go about half way, then flip it over and do the same thing on the other side. Worked great. More tips on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com
I like that idea... Will def be implementing it. I hate skewers that aren't straight