Best FT Speedbuild kit for my Dad!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hi,

My Dad has been interested in the RC hobby for a few weeks now. He has flown my WLtoys F949 a couple of times and he has doing really good.

Now he wants to build a one of the FT speed build kits. Witch one would you guys recommend?

I was thinking maybe the Tiny Trainer but I want to get your opinion.

Thanks for any help!

OliverW

Legendary member
Hi,

My Dad has been interested in the RC hobby for a few weeks now. He has flown my WLtoys F949 a couple of times and he has doing really good.

Now he wants to build a one of the FT speed build kits. Witch one would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any help!
You know what I am going to say.... THE CUB!! 😆

OliverW

Legendary member
Yeah, I knew you would say that!:)

I think the Cub would be a little big and the electronics would be expensive. My Dad wants something small just to get started.
Alright. I recommend the mini scout. I am building one currently but, the reason I got it was because I heard it could survive lots of crashes easily.

kdobson83

Hi,

Thanks for any help!
While the cub is a decent choice, you can have issues with the wing incidence and might not be a beginner friendly build, not hard, but not super easy.

The mini scout would be an easy build, but is a tad harder to fly. Most of the minis tend to be a bit more squirrelly. If you stay light and fly in light to no wind it would be ok.

Now, the tiny trainer, is easy to build, will grow with you as you learn (ie 3 channel to 4 channel), Uses smaller cheaper electronics like the scout, and very forgiving in the sky. The 3 channel TT flys really good, keep it light and it's possible to catch thermals with it. Able to fly in light wind. Adding the 4 channel wing allows you to learn 'bank n yank' style flying opening the door for pretty much any FT model.
Add in a few mods like reinforcing BBQ skewer holes and sealing your exposed edges with hot glue and it'll last you a long time too. (Baring any catastrophic crashes lol)

There are other begginer style planes out there like the Explorer or the Storch or the full size Scout, but these all use bigger electronics and are a tad harder to build, and for begginers, harder to repair. Lol

I personally started with the old school FT Flyer, got good with that and seamlessly moved to the 3 channel TT and then to the 4 channel. The FT Flyer is a decent started plane too but I think the TT is your best bet.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
While the cub is a decent choice, you can have issues with the wing incidence and might not be a beginner friendly build, not hard, but not super easy.

The mini scout would be an easy build, but is a tad harder to fly. Most of the minis tend to be a bit more squirrelly. If you stay light and fly in light to no wind it would be ok.

Now, the tiny trainer, is easy to build, will grow with you as you learn (ie 3 channel to 4 channel), Uses smaller cheaper electronics like the scout, and very forgiving in the sky. The 3 channel TT flys really good, keep it light and it's possible to catch thermals with it. Able to fly in light wind. Adding the 4 channel wing allows you to learn 'bank n yank' style flying opening the door for pretty much any FT model.
Add in a few mods like reinforcing BBQ skewer holes and sealing your exposed edges with hot glue and it'll last you a long time too. (Baring any catastrophic crashes lol)

There are other begginer style planes out there like the Explorer or the Storch or the full size Scout, but these all use bigger electronics and are a tad harder to build, and for begginers, harder to repair. Lol

I personally started with the old school FT Flyer, got good with that and seamlessly moved to the 3 channel TT and then to the 4 channel. The FT Flyer is a decent started plane too but I think the TT is your best bet.

Ok, I knew the TT would be a good one! Thanks for the advice!

jaredstrees

I'll second the TT and the flyer. I actually learned on a nutball. Don't recommend that one! I never really had success with the TT, but being one of my first builds I'm not surprised. I really started to get the hang of it with the flyer. Easy to fly, and it is the one my son is building with me so he can learn to fly.

FDS

Elite member
TT for repairable, adaptable fun. It’s a pussycat at 60-75% throttlewith a 2300kv 1806 on 2s with a 6x4 prop but can really shift when you max it. The option to run 3 or 4 channel will make the transition easier. Us old guys with slower reactions need that safety net!
The scout is a superb design, I really want the mini version this month, I have built and flown the Simple series one, it’s really docile and floaty.