Best FT style warbird?

SSgt Duramax

I am looking at warbirds to practice up on before I get my 13th squadron F6F buttoned up. I had built a nerdnic chipmunk. The first one crashed. The second one as well. (The second one was flying great until the elevator control horn that I knew was a little sketch came out, causing the nose heavy plane to go face first into the ground). It is savable, but I am tired of messing with it for now. It got hung up, but didn't get the alcohol bath of shame.

So, what are the best FT warbirds to learn on. Simple to make and relatively dummy proof to fly? I have started on the P40, but I am open to suggestions after I inevitably kill this one. I should have probably asked first. Is the P40 a good transition warbird? Did I pick the right one? Or should I probably have another one in mind?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My vote goes for the spitfire, It’s a solid intermediate plane and flies fantastic. However if you are looking for a true trainer warbird, there’s always the F7F I designed, you could almost fly it blindfolded. 😂 I can’t speak for the P-40 as I haven’t built one yet, but from what I’ve seen it’s a pretty good and easy flyer.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
IMG-20210912-WA0002.jpeg
my spitfire painted as red and hellow😂

SSgt Duramax

My vote goes for the spitfire, It’s a solid intermediate plane and flies fantastic. However if you are looking for a true trainer warbird, there’s always the F7F I designed, you could almost fly it blindfolded. 😂 I can’t speak for the P-40 as I haven’t built one yet, but from what I’ve seen it’s a pretty good and easy flyer.
That F7F looks like a blast.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the Spitfire, it a great plane. The Mustang is worth of a mention.

By far the easiest FT warbird to build & fly is the F22.

danskis

Master member
@SSgt Duramax - The speed build spit is a great plane. I think the F6F is actually easier to fly than the spit - I've built both. A good high performance trainer is the little stick. Simple to build and it will do everything you ask. Ooops - this didn't make it in the first time. I made the JB Simple Stick and it flys great. Plans below

(4) SP0NZ - Plans Index | Page 65 | FliteTest Forum

Last edited: