Best glue for wood on styrofoam?

Cahity

Hi,
I am going to build a rudder and an elevator from wood sheeted styrofoam https://yourdiorama.com/best-glue-for-styrofoam-reviews-buyers-guide/ . For my first tests I used normal white wood glue and after drying it makes quite a tight connection between the styrofoam and the wood the problem is that everything must be fixed an under some pressure for about half an hour.
Is there a glue which works works much faster and does not destroy the styrofoam. What about spray adhesives like 3M 77?
What glue do you use and how long do the components have to be fixed?
Maybe there is one that even works within seconds?
Thank you

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The best glue for wood and foam would be white glue, if not hot glue works well but you need to give it some time to cool so it doesnt melt the foam.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you want fast, use hot glue. If you want strong, polyurethane (gorilla glue and others), but it takes about an hour to set. What makes it so strong, the polyurethane will expand into the foam giving the glue a larger surface area to hold.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If gluing Balsa Bamboo or a similar porous wood to styrofoam I either use the polyurethane glue which can be messy and rather expensive for big projects as well as difficult to clean off if it is allowed to really set before sanding OR I use a clear craft glue which is foam safe and a near equivalent of POR-UHU but much much cheaper. The glue info can be found here; https://www.sullivans.net/products/details/49902/glue-craft-and-hobby-250ml-clear.

As a side benefit it glues FB extremely well and permanently!

Works for me!

Have fun!

Janicer

Molex®, Insulated Glue, Super Glue and other types of high strength furniture glue are all weaker than Polybutane. Very hard cuts or hassles may require glue.

Why Polybutane?

The key advantages of Polybutane are durability and flame resistance. Polybutane is a "high flame" super glue, which means that it will not melt or burn, and it cannot get hot enough to burn wood. Polybutane will adhere to all the imperfections of a wood panel with

Very resistant to acid damage and damaging to the cutting surface, also will resist peeling and peeling will occur a lot less.

Jon66

Hi, Gorilla 5000408 is the most expensive and perhaps the easiest to work with to get the right kind of glue, but it is the easiest to understand and carry around. It looks like wood, but it's actually a mixture of soft acryllic and hard acrylic (Gorilla is silicone).
Pegboard is also the perfect consistency for sealing applications like binding together plastic window shutters. If you've ever used epoxy, it's the same thing.
The bottom line is, plywood takes more time to set than pegs do, which is why you get a small box, cut in half and then add the whole thing again after sealing. Gorilla 5000408 solution is even best waterproof glue for styrofoam.

If you want to stick Styrofoam with wood, then you need a Great Planes Cyanoacrylate Adhesive, which can dry in no time. It is orderless non-fuming adhesive. This is perfect for your work.

Many sprays adhesive can work on Styrofoam, but I don't know about 3M 77 adhesive.
Hey Ericka, what are you doing Friday night? You are one lovely girl!

AdobeStock_65393862.jpeg