Best place for foam board in UK

voipmonkey

Hi guys
A question for all the guys in the uk!

I was wondering if anyone out there knows a good place in the uk to get foam board from cheap?

The stuff the guys in the us use from dollar tree.

I have found some in the past at hobby craft on offer at £2.50 per sheet (a1) size but am needing a fair bit to build some planes with my scouts.

Any ideas ?

voipmonkey

voipmonkey

well looks like will have to try some more ways of getting the paper off the stuff i already have :) thanks guys
Mark

voipmonkey

I found foamboard in rymans...A3...13.99 for 5 sheets 5mm

Thanks for replying brian. I have found A1 sheets in Hobby Craft for 2.50 a sheet (On Offer) 15 quid for 10 i think i saw once too. this is nice board but hard to get paper off. going to try a few things to see if i can get it to release a little easier.
Mark

voipmonkey

i have found these A1 sheets great to work with. You can get anything you find designed for 30x20 sheets and still have a little bit left :)

Rcjim11

Depron in the UK is much cheaper than foam board and makes a much better looking model. It is not as heavy and there is no paper to take off. You get it in 100CM X 70CM

voipmonkey

I know i asked this question a while ago but thought i would try and see if anyone has any more ideas on cheap foam board in the UK.
seeing all the videos on flitetest just makes me want to start building again..
any more ideas?

oatman

Resurrecting this thread for UK sourcing of components!

This is very helpful for finding the famous dollar tree foam board...

how about the rest of the bits and parts for building from Plans (wish it was possible to get the speed build kits shipped to UK ... hopefully soon)

So the Foam board (5mm) is covered.

Is the "Paper" simply the foam board with the foam separated and the paper ends??

Control horns material?

Motor mount material?

Control arms are just standard ... is that 2mm?? do these come with "Z" bends and just then cut the other end and use the "EZ" connectors for the servo arms??

No wheels as its a belly lander ...

The power components, electronics are covered under the reccos on the site...

anything else I'm forgetting??

Thanks, I've just discovored these and I can't wait to get started on the FT3D and Spitfire!! but I'll start with the FT Racer first as it looks pretty easy and is just a "go fast bank and yanker" that seems more forgiving on the build (weight doesn't matter much, as it will be super over powered anyways)

TIA !!!!

alibopo

£2.50 a sheet sounds like a steal. Best I could manage earlier in the year was on Ebay, where I can still see 10 sheets of A1 foam board (594x841) delivered to the door for £27.00. This is generally heavier than dollar tree, but still very useable. See my article on the main site; "Heavy foam board blues?" However if you're just going to strip the paper off then going straight to Depron will be more economic. I will add, however, that the paper layer gives significant increase in strength, and can be made pretty water resistant with paint and varnish. None of my builds, FT designs or scratch builds, would have lasted half as well in just Depron. The paper adds a whole pile of crash resistance. Also some weight and presence in the air definitely helps in our variable wind-swept UK climate.

Graham Gott

£2.50 a sheet sounds like a steal. Best I could manage earlier in the year was on Ebay, where I can still see 10 sheets of A1 foam board (594x841) delivered to the door for £27.00. This is generally heavier than dollar tree, but still very useable. See my article on the main site; "Heavy foam board blues?" However if you're just going to strip the paper off then going straight to Depron will be more economic.

Thanks for that info. I have been trying to source foam board for ages. The best I could do was Depron from my local hobby shop at £7 per sheet of A1 and it's far too floppy for Flite Test models...

lankyjames

I've just been buying it from the local hobby craft - £4 a sheet, but 3 for 2 so works out at £2.67 a sheet.

They also have black and a grey/black alternate sides for £7 each, 3 for 2.

They are running low on stocks at the moment but between my father and myself we have built a bloody wonder, f22, spitfire, mustang and currently in progress a viggen and racer in the past few months - at least the bad weather has one upside - lots of build time!

darkside2er

I've just been buying it from the local hobby craft - £4 a sheet, but 3 for 2 so works out at £2.67 a sheet.

They also have black and a grey/black alternate sides for £7 each, 3 for 2.

They are running low on stocks at the moment but between my father and myself we have built a bloody wonder, f22, spitfire, mustang and currently in progress a viggen and racer in the past few months - at least the bad weather has one upside - lots of build time!

Have you had any trouble getting the paper off? A user above mentioned some difficulty, I am days away from ordering a ton of parts to begin my first steps in the hobby begining with experimental airlines designs. A verified good supplier for paper backed foam board in the UK would be a great help!

daithespy

Foamboard in UK

I know this is an old thread, but this might be of use to someone. I have just managed to buy 10 sheets of A1 (59.4cm x 84.1cm) 5mm foamboard from a trader on Amazon UK (Darcol Packaging), for an all-in price of £20.50. Prior to this, I bought 8 sheets from The Range in Swansea for £20, which I am currently working with. I have brought back Dollar Tree foamboard from the States, and that product is quite different. The Dollar Tree board is easy to work with (removing the paper is just a matter of peeling it off), it is thinner (about 3.5mm), and therefore lighter. The UK foamboard is much stronger, however, and I have found by trial and error that the easiest way of removing the paper is to heat the paper GENTLY with a hot-air gun, until the glue softens, and the paper can then be peeled off. If you overdo it with the hot-air gun, you risk distorting the foamboard, although I will be experimenting with this in the near future, to see if I can use the hot-air gun to get it to bend into an aerofoil profile without having to score it first. If this is possible, it would make a much stronger wing. I might also experiment with an iron, on a low heat setting (if my wife will let me borrow it!).

I'm currently making a RAF SE5A biplane fighter, predominantly out of foamboard, but with balsa wing tips, various bits of plastic board, and 1mm aluminium sheet. The wingspan corresponds to the limitations of the A1 size, at about 93cm, including the two balsa wing tips.

I hope this helps.

daxian

Elite member
nah.....still stuck with westfoam a1 board ,but hoping ft will come good on the global market soon !!!

Batteryman

I have recently bought Westfoam from Amazon and also some from http://www.foam-board.co.uk/

It is all very strong and also quite heavy. Typically 50% heavier than FT quote for model weight.

Still had no luck in sourcing something lighter, so will have to make do with what I have.
On the plus side it is very crash resistant. :D

Batteryman.