Best plane to follow the storch

jkeyes7

I got the storch as my first build. I had a good time building it and I've gotten pretty good at flying it with no crashes yet, knock on wood. I am a beginner and I have some other friends that are joining me with this hobby. I am thinking about slightly upgrading for my next build. Would the mustang be too much of a jump? Maybe a twin? I dont want to just get a duster or a baron and then have the same experience. I want to sort of push myself and see if I can get better with building, flying, and modifying planes.

slyke

If you are scratch-building I would consider the NN Chipmunk. It is a low wing so it will be a different flight experience than the Storch. It can fly like a trainer but also handle speed and acrobatics.
-Stephen

jkeyes7

Isn't the chipmunk extremely fast? Or does it have a wide envelope?
I thought I remembered seeing a video of it going 80 mph.

AdamV

To follow they Storch, i'd go with a Spitfire. It's a reasonable step up in build and flying difficulty, but still very user friendly to fly and will introduce you to using poster board on your builds.

I have a nnChipmonk fully built but unflown. As i understand it the speed envelope is huge and largely motor dependent. I found the chipmunk more difficult to build in comparison due to lack of a build video an some freedom of choice / lack of definitive best way to access / change out batteries.

slyke

The Chipmunk has a reasonable airfoil and under cambered tips so I can happily fly at 'trainer' speeds. You just need to match the motor and battery size accordingly to keep the weight down. With a 1500 mAh battery and a 60 or 70g motor you could get some fun 10 - 12 minute flights.

I agree that the Spitfire would be a more straightforward build as you can follow along with the video but my take is you don't have much too loose if you goof up a foam board plane as another sheet and evening of work will fix most mistakes!
-Stephen