Best props for FT Bronco on 4S?

Duck

I am slowly building my FT Bronco and I realized that the recommended specs list a 8" prop. Looking at the build I suspect I won't have clearance for 9" props but I don't have two 8" props in both CW and CCW. I was planning on running my Bronco on two 4S 100C 1500mah with two C-pack motors (emax or radial, not sure yet) in parallel so I should have plenty of power but I struggled to find many 8" props. Most stores only had CW or CCW. I found a one or two 7" 3-blade props from 3" to 5.6" for quads, so I would get a set with both directions. For example https://www.getfpv.com/dal-cyclone-t7056c-pro-propellers-set-of-4-crystal-clear.html .

What does everyone use for props on the bronco? I would be happy with recommendations for either high thrust or maximum speed. I was hoping to use my Bronco for a rubber duck bombing platform but if it happens to wind up fast instead, I won't complain.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Hope I can help, I just built the cruiser which is similar in size and power. I fit some 9" props on to the cruiser. You should double check that that they won't fit first. If they don't then there are two things you can do. 1.) you can order some 3 blade props like you mentioned however, they won't be as efficient as two bladed props. 2.) you can trim down your 9" props to fit. I sometimes take some pliers and cut off about half and inch off each blade and sand the edges off. If you have a propeller balancer you can then do some weight balancing but since you need two propellers they would have to be almost exactly the same so I don't recommend this. Good luck with your build.

tamuct01

I have a FT Guinea Pig and Legacy that use the C-pack or similar motors. For 3S I find 9x6 APC or Slo-Fly work well. For 4S I went to 8x6 APC. Both are on 30 Amp ESCs and run a 4S 3000 or 4000 mAh pack at 35C.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
On my Bronco I am using 10x5 props with a 2200 mAh 3S battery and B pack size motors. I wouldn’t say that it is overpowered, but I have no trouble to carry stuff like a GoPro or GPS logger. The clearance of the 10“ props is ok, only when I have a bad landing... yes I do have those from time to time ... I add a small cut in the nose cover from the tip of the prop.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
On my Bronco I am using 10x5 props with a 2200 mAh 3S battery and B pack size motors. I wouldn’t say that it is overpowered, but I have no trouble to carry stuff like a GoPro or GPS logger. The clearance of the 10“ props is ok, only when I have a bad landing... yes I do have those from time to time ... I add a small cut in the nose cover from the tip of the prop.

Epic vid bro! (y):cool:(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks Battleaxe. I think the FT Bronco is one of the best FT platforms for attaching GoPros in different positions. In the meanwhile I have designed several GoPro mounts like the Selfie stick or a rear facing stick and some more. I posted the build videos in the FT Bronco Build thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-bronco-build.22778/page-3#post-439361
I will check it out. I also have a Bronco which is a pusher. It isn't a very exciting plane but it is smoot in the air as far as handling. Mine needs some TLC right now but I agree, it is a great camera platform just on it's handling characteristics. I have a GoPro I could Mount to it but the little woman won't let me mount and fly it yet... especially with my last crash on the Bronco, (inverted and elevated out instead of roll 15' off the ground, pushing limits... :sneaky: OOPS).

I just had the opportunity to fly with a camera quad filming me yesterday and got some short vids. They are raw footage and no music but the best vids i have done so far. Beats filming from the ground, way better perspective. As we fly more together they productions will improve but I am really interested in the filming side of flying. I will give your thread a look. You can see mine I posted last night in the 'What Did You Fly Today" thread and tell me what you think.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I just had the opportunity to fly with a camera quad filming me yesterday and got some short vids. They are raw footage and no music but the best vids i have done so far. Beats filming from the ground, way better perspective. As we fly more together they productions will improve but I am really interested in the filming side of flying. I will give your thread a look. You can see mine I posted last night in the 'What Did You Fly Today" thread and tell me what you think.
Even if they are raw footage, they contain some very nice shots. You are lucky that you have a buddy filming you with his Mavic. Since a few months I have a Mavic Air but unfortunately no one to operate it while I am flying. So I position it somewhere in the air and try to fly as good as possible in front of it. Sometimes there is good footage sometime not ;). The "yellow fields" video was still without the Mavic.
My "magic recipe" is to combine shots from many different sources. Typically I have one GoPro installed on my Bronco, one GoPro either attached with the Chesty to myself or on a tripod and finally the Mavic in the air. In the end there are up to 7 or 8 flights which are combined into one video with music. A lot of effort, but I enjoy editing and making the pictures fit to the music.
I could imagine that you and your friend will need some more flights together and check afterwards what worked well and what not. The results will quickly be better and better. As said before, what I see is already very promising (y)
By the way, going inverted with the Bronco 15' off the ground is very courageous :p My Bronco really doesn't like going inverted. I have to push the elevator very far to keep level. And I normally only try that on a safe hight.
I already fly my second Bronco and after around 250 flights it starts getting soft, so I think I will build no. 3 during winter, to have a new camera platform for next year.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Even if they are raw footage, they contain some very nice shots. You are lucky that you have a buddy filming you with his Mavic. Since a few months I have a Mavic Air but unfortunately no one to operate it while I am flying. So I position it somewhere in the air and try to fly as good as possible in front of it. Sometimes there is good footage sometime not ;). The "yellow fields" video was still without the Mavic.
My "magic recipe" is to combine shots from many different sources. Typically I have one GoPro installed on my Bronco, one GoPro either attached with the Chesty to myself or on a tripod and finally the Mavic in the air. In the end there are up to 7 or 8 flights which are combined into one video with music. A lot of effort, but I enjoy editing and making the pictures fit to the music.
I could imagine that you and your friend will need some more flights together and check afterwards what worked well and what not. The results will quickly be better and better. As said before, what I see is already very promising (y)
By the way, going inverted with the Bronco 15' off the ground is very courageous :p My Bronco really doesn't like going inverted. I have to push the elevator very far to keep level. And I normally only try that on a safe hight.
I already fly my second Bronco and after around 250 flights it starts getting soft, so I think I will build no. 3 during winter, to have a new camera platform for next year.
Yea I am newly excited about this filming thing. Every vid I have done up until now has been from the ground and the perspective just doesn't do it justice, and it's boring to watch now. I want to get that GoPro going before the winter so i will have to get the Bronco back up soon. The multiple shot angles is a good idea, I noticed how smooth you mix them to make it one continuous flight. Really good work man. I am gonna need some easy editing software to figure out the production side, the last i tried was just frustrating, mostly because I have no idea what I am doing lol.

As far as the inverted goes, I agree its a bit more of a stretch to roll the Bronco over and maintain then say the Baby Blender, but as a pusher with about 10 degrees of down thrust towards the wing i think helps in maintaining the inverted. The crash was totally my fault. It was at the end of the battery and to low to the ground and i tried to pull out and not roll after gaining altitude. Probably the fact that it didn't have enough airspeed or power to climb out may have contributed to it as well.

I may be knockin on your door a bunch for advice on the filming side, Plus i always like to see a fellow Bronco flyer in the pilots seat. Cheers man

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I may be knockin on your door a bunch for advice on the filming side, Plus i always like to see a fellow Bronco flyer in the pilots seat.
No problem, just let me know :)

Concerning editing software, I must say that the easy ones were never working as expected causing some frustration and the more complex ones require quite a bit of learning until you can produce good results. But I think it is worth working yourself into a good software.
I am using EDIUS Pro 8. Still learning some new features of the software with every production.

Take care of your Bronco ;)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No problem, just let me know :)

Concerning editing software, I must say that the easy ones were never working as expected causing some frustration and the more complex ones require quite a bit of learning until you can produce good results. But I think it is worth working yourself into a good software.
I am using EDIUS Pro 8. Still learning some new features of the software with every production.

Take care of your Bronco ;)
I will look into the software, really appreciate the advice. I'll be subscribing to your YouTube channel as well